gem install RedCloth

Tim Ss

I am just learning Ruby and have become somewhat frustrated on this
issue.

I am trying to install Redcloth and I keep getting an error back

C:\>gem install RedCloth
ERROR: Error installing RedCloth:

C:/Ruby186/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
creating Makefile

make
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Gem files will remain installed in
C:/Ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RedCloth-4.
2.3 for inspection.
Results logged to
C:/Ruby186/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/RedCloth-4.2.3/ext/redcloth_
scan/gem_make.out

I installed Ruby 1.8.6-p398 and downloaded gems 1.3.7 and installed
that.
This is on Win 7 if it makes any difference. I am following a Ruby book.

Quintus

Quintus

Luis Lavena

I am just learning Ruby and have become somewhat frustrated on this
issue.

I am trying to install Redcloth and I keep getting an error back

C:\>gem install RedCloth
Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing RedCloth:

C:/Ruby186/bin/ruby.exe extconf.rb
creating Makefile

make
'make' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

You need a compiler.
I installed Ruby 1.8.6-p398 and downloaded gems 1.3.7 and installed
that.

If you installed Ruby 1.8.6 from RubyInstaller, you don't need to
download RubyGems, it is already part of the package.

Please download the DevKit and follow the installation instructions
from our wiki:

http://rubyinstaller.org/downloads
http://wiki.github.com/oneclick/rubyinstaller/development-kit

I would recommend you also install Ruby 1.8.7 instead of 1.8.6, as
that version has been kept for compatibility reasons while 1.8.7 is
receiving more support form both Ruby developers and RubyInstaller
team.

HTH,