Graphs, bar charts, etc

Jan Danielsson

Hello all,

I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
bar charts, etc.

I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?

Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

Jussi Salmela

Jan Danielsson kirjoitti:
Hello all,

I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
bar charts, etc.

I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?

Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

I've used PyChart:

http://home.gna.org/pychart/

in my Blood Pressure Monitor application:

http://personal.inet.fi/cool/operator/BPMDownload.html

I found PyChart to be very easy to use and to function as advertised.

HTH,
Jussi

Joshua J. Kugler

Jan said:
Hello all,

I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
bar charts, etc.

I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?

Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

We've had good success with matplotlib.

bernhard.voigt

Hi!

Matplotlib saves some stuff into a configuration dir. Take a look at
the __init__.py file in site-packages/matplotlib (or where your
installation lives). There are several environment variabels checked
where a .matplotlib folder will be created. Try unsetting HOME, than
probably TMP will be used and this should be writable in any case. I
don't know whether the creation of the configuration folder can be
turned off.

Hope that helps! Bernhard

Sean Davis

Hello all,

I have some data in a postgresql table which I view through a web
interface (the web interface is written in python -- using mod_python
under apache 2.2). Now I would like to represent this data as graphs,
bar charts, etc.

I know about matplotlib, and it seemed like exactly what I was
looking for. I tried importing it in my script, but it gave me some
error about a home directory not being writable. I'm not sure I like the
idea of it require to be able to write somewhere. Am I using it wrong?

Is there something else I can use which can produce graphs easily?

You might want to look at RPy (http://rpy.sourceforge.net), an
interface to R (statistical programming environment).

Sean