help: time series; forecast

thedwig

I want to forecast sales data using time series analysis such as
holt's winter exponential smoothing or moving average method.

I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

Any other module or source code?

A. Sinan Unur

I want to forecast sales data using time series analysis such as
holt's winter exponential smoothing or moving average method.

I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

Moving average methods are really not that hard. What have you tried?
Any other module or source code?

Other than what?

A few recommendations:

* Read the posting guidelines for this group.
* Exclamation points are hardly ever needed. Doubly so for multiple
exclamation points.
* The language is Perl.

Sinan

--
A. Sinan Unur <[email protected]>

Robert Dodier

I want to forecast sales data using time series analysis such as
holt's winter exponential smoothing or moving average method.

I'm not sure this can be done using PERL!!!!! Help me please.

Perl has a lot going for it but if you have any kind of statistical
problem, use the R system (http://www.r-project.org).
R is a programming language, suitable for writing scripts which
can handle very large data sources, and an interactive environment.
There are dozens of user-contributed add-on packages and
the user community is active and friendly. Look for mailing
lists on the web site. R totally rocks.

The tricky part of statistical problem solving is not in the
computation,
it's in the conceptual stuff. I'm guessing that you're not in a good
position to reinvent wheels here.

HTH
Robert Dodier