How can I get involved

Prateek

Hey all,

I'm messaging this group for the first time. Basically I've been a
(pretty intensive) Python programmer for the past 2 years. I started a
software company which has just released an SDK (v1.0b - developer
preview) for developing web applications in Python.

Key points:
1) It comes with a non-relational schema-free database we designed
2) The application server is based on CherryPy
3) The UI engine is XSLT based (but it also supports Cheetah and
Clearsilver via plugins - out of the box)

Basically, I really love the language and I'm looking for ways to get
involved in the community and contribute.

My past (pre-Python) experience has been mainly in web-technologies -
Java, PHP, ASP and a little bit of C.

Any ideas?
Prateek

Steven Bethard

Prateek said:
Basically, I really love the language and I'm looking for ways to get
involved in the community and contribute.

If you're looking to help in the development of Python, the `python-dev
list`_ might be a little more appropriate. You might find that just
lurking on that list and reading what comes by gives you some ideas of
how to help out.

If you'd like to help out right now, a great way is to review some of
the patches on the `Python bug tracker`_. There are often more bugs and
patches reported than the Python developers can handle, so an extra pair
of eyes on any of those (and a comment on the patch tracker with your
review and suggestions) is always appreciated.

... _python-dev list: One really simple way to contribute that would be
... _Python bug tracker:

STeVe

Paul Boddie

Prateek said:
I'm messaging this group for the first time. Basically I've been a
(pretty intensive) Python programmer for the past 2 years. I started a
software company which has just released an SDK (v1.0b - developer
preview) for developing web applications in Python.

I find it interesting that you've been using Python for so long and yet
haven't posted to this group before. Have you been participating in
other forums or groups? I suppose this shows how big the community is,
and that comp.lang.python is just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway, welcome! :)
Key points:
1) It comes with a non-relational schema-free database we designed
2) The application server is based on CherryPy
3) The UI engine is XSLT based (but it also supports Cheetah and
Clearsilver via plugins - out of the box)

I get along fairly well with XSLT, so this sounds rather interesting.
Basically, I really love the language and I'm looking for ways to get
involved in the community and contribute.

There are so many things you can do that it's hard to describe them
all. If you're free to contribute to open source projects, you might
choose some that interest you, or which might benefit the work you do
in your day job, and contribute some effort to those projects.
Alternatively, you could start your own interesting projects and share
them with us. Perhaps you want to help other people to understand
Python or its libraries, and you could decide to write some
documentation or some "how to" documents or guides. If you're really
enthusiastic, you could help the core developers with developing
CPython, but if you're more of a Java person then perhaps the
developers of Jython might appreciate the help a bit more.
My past (pre-Python) experience has been mainly in web-technologies -
Java, PHP, ASP and a little bit of C.

Any ideas?

The python.org Wiki gives a few starting points, based on what I've
written above:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/FrontPage

It's a bit of a mess, unfortunately, despite some of us trying to keep
some areas reasonably tidy, but if you dive in and look around you'll
probably find something to inspire you. If not, just tell us and we'll
try and suggest something. ;-)

Paul

Prateek

Hey everyone...

Thanks a million for the warm welcome. Not sure WHY I haven't posted
before (although I have been lurking for a few weeks). I guess I've
been learning via practice and other random documentation online.

In case anyone is interested, the url of my organization is
http://www.brainwavelive.com
There isn't too much technical documentation there yet, but more is
coming soon - I promise. Let me know if anyone wants to participate.

There are a couple of sub-projects which we're open sourcing which
we'll put up soon. In the meantime, I had an interesting project I
thought some of you may be interested in...

I've been checking out Jython and I've been kinda disappointed to see
nothing released in a while (so I'm eager to see what comes next).

In the meantime, I need a way to access my database server (written in
Python) from Java. Since the server process uses Pyro for IPC and I
don't want to switch to XML (purely because of the overhead), I thought
it might be fun to write something in Java.

So I've started work on an Unpickler in Java. I'll post again soon with
the URL (haven't uploaded it yet). If anyone is interested, email me.

Prateek

Fredrik Lundh

Paul said:
I find it interesting that you've been using Python for so long and yet
haven't posted to this group before.

c.l.python is just a small speck at the outer parts of the python
universe. most python programmers don't even read this newsgroup,
except, perhaps, when they stumble upon it via a search engine.

</F>