How do I make variables defined in a method accessible on anothermethod?

victor.reyes

Team,

I would like to initialize some variables/arrays in a method, and access
them within another method.
For instance,

class My_Class

def init_method(size)
arr = Array.new(size)
index = 1
end # End method

def print_method
p arr
p index
end # End method

end # End class

my_obj = My_Class.new()
my_obj.init_method 10
my_obj.print_method

When I attempt to execute this code, I receive the error:

ruby My_Class
My_Class:9:in `print_method': undefined local variable or method `arr' for
#<My_Class:0x28ee87c> (NameError)
from My_Class:17

I know the reason why it is happening, but I don't know how to access a
variable from another method, if there is a way.

Thank you

Victor

mbj

Am Sun, 4 Nov 2007 12:51:19 +0900
schrieb "Victor Reyes said:
class My_Class

def init_method(size)
arr = Array.new(size)
index = 1
end # End method

def print_method
p arr
p index
end # End method

end # End class

my_obj = My_Class.new()
my_obj.init_method 10
my_obj.print_method

Use instance variables!

class Example
def init(size) # why u arent using initialize?
@arr = Array.new
@index = -1
end

def print_method
p @arr
p @index
end
end # class Example

list.push

Team,

I know the reason why it is happening, but I don't know how to access a
variable from another method, if there is a way.

class My_Class
def initialize(size)
@arr = Array.new(size)
@ind = 1
end

def print_method
p @arr
p @ind
end
end

my_obj = My_Class.new(10)
my_obj.print_method

Harry

bbxx789_05ss

Markus said:
class Example
def init(size) # why u arent using initialize?
@arr = Array.new
@index = -1
end

Just to flesh out that comment. Examine this class:

class Dog
def init_method(age, weight)
@age = age
@weight = weight
end

def show
puts @age, @weight
end
end

d = Dog.new
d.init_method(2, 20)
d.show

--output:--
2
20

However, when you create an object, ruby *automatically* calls a method
called initialize() in the object's class:

class Dog
def initialize(age, weight)
@age = age
@weight = weight
end

def show
puts @age, @weight
end
end

d = Dog.new(2, 20)
d.show

--output:--
2
20

victor.reyes

First, thank you to Markus, Harry and 7stud for your help.
I truly appreciate it.

Markus, answering your question "why u arent using initialize?" SIMPLE: I
didn't know how to use it.

Again, Thank you all!

Victor