How to automatically append x,y values to a matrix

Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Hi, I want to add new rows to a matrix by a while loop using randomly generated points, but I am getting an error code regarding number of dimensions.
Here is an example of the code:

import random

import numpy as np

first_list = []

a = 0
while a <= 10:
first_list.append(a)
a += 1
random.shuffle(first_list)

second_list = []

b= 0
while b <= 10:
second_list.append(b)
b += 1
random.shuffle(second_list)

n = 0
xy_array = np.array([[first_list.index(n),second_list.index(n)]])

row_to_be_added =([[first_list.index(n+1),second_list.index(n+1)]])

while n<=len(first_list):
np.r_[xy_array,[row_to_be_added]]
n+=1

I get an error message that the dimensions are wrong. More specifically, I get the message "array at index 0 has 2 dimensions, but array at index 1 has 3 dimensions." I am trying to add additional rows to the matrix. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:
Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
107
Reaction score
13
The issue is that the row_to_be_added is a nested list with 2 dimensions, but xy_array has only 1 dimension. To resolve this, you should use np.concatenate instead of np.r_ and remove the nested list when creating row_to_be_added:

Code:
import random
import numpy as np

first_list = []
a = 0
while a <= 10:
  first_list.append(a)
  a += 1
random.shuffle(first_list)

second_list = []
b = 0
while b <= 10:
  second_list.append(b)
  b += 1
random.shuffle(second_list)

n = 0
xy_array = np.array([first_list[n], second_list[n]])

row_to_be_added = [first_list[n+1], second_list[n+1]]

while n < len(first_list)-1:
  xy_array = np.concatenate((xy_array, [row_to_be_added]), axis=0)
  n += 1

Note that np.concatenate takes the axis parameter to specify the axis along which to concatenate the arrays. In this case, we are concatenating along the first axis (0), so the new arrays are added as new rows.

Joined
Jan 30, 2023
Messages
6
[...]