how to check for group membership in windows?

Ball, Donald A Jr (Library)

Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I can't think of where else to
start looking. I need to test for group membership on windows in a ruby
program. I've got some authentication code working just fine:

require 'dl/win32'

LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK =3D 3
LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT =3D 0
BOOL_SUCCESS =3D 1
AdvApi32 =3D DL.dlopen('advapi32')
Kernel32 =3D DL.dlopen('kernel32')

def authenticate_user_from_windows(username, password, domain)
# Load the DLL functions
logon_user =3D AdvApi32['LogonUser', 'ISSSIIp']
close_handle =3D Kernel32['CloseHandle', 'IL']
# Normalize username and domain
username =3D username.strip.downcase
domain =3D domain.strip.downcase
# Authenticate user
ptoken =3D "\0" * 4
r,rs =3D logon_user.call(username, domain, password,
LOGON32_LOGON_NETWORK, LOGON32_PROVIDER_DEFAULT, ptoken)
success =3D (r =3D=3D BOOL_SUCCESS)
# Close impersonation token
token =3D ptoken.unpack('L')[0]
close_handle.call(token)
return success
end

and now I need some authorization help. I've been browsing msdn for
hours to no avail; can anyone point me in the right direction? Merci.

Also, in the code above, should close_handle.call(token) be invoked in
an ensure block if logon_user.call failed for some reason, or would that
imply the ptoken object doesn't need to be cleaned up?

- donald

Clifford Heath

Ball said:
Apologies if this is too off-topic, but I can't think of where else to
start looking. I need to test for group membership on windows in a ruby
program. I've got some authentication code working just fine:

In my experience, the logon call and the underlying LDAP request
to return the tokenGroups attribute is hugely expensive. If causes
the DC to do calls to other DCs including the GC server. We do
this where absolutely necessary, but it definitely isn't wise
to do it whenever you have an authorization request to evaluate.

You should instead attempt to enumerate the group member SIDs of
the current process token, or use one of the APIs that does this.

I'm a bit limited unfortunately in how much more help I can give,
as I've been out of this space for a year or two now.

Clifford Heath.