How to move text within Jlabels to the right

clusardi2k

I have two JLabels with different lenght of text. One JLabel is below the other. I'd like to get the two "colons" in them to line-up vertically.

I tried padding one with "space" characters, but that didn't line up perfectly. My guess is that certain characters have different widths.

(I tried the align vertical and horizontal properties, etc but they didn't work.)

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name:
Label2 Last Name:

Thanks,

Nigel Wade

I have two JLabels with different lenght of text. One JLabel is below the other. I'd like to get the two "colons" in them to line-up vertically.

I tried padding one with "space" characters, but that didn't line up perfectly. My guess is that certain characters have different widths.

(I tried the align vertical and horizontal properties, etc but they didn't work.)

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name:
Label2 Last Name:

Thanks,

Place them in a JPanel, and set a layout manager which allows you to align them. GridBagLayout will do this. Align them
with java.awt.GridBagConstraints.EAST, or LINE_END so they are at the right of the JPanel.

The Tutorial has all the gory details: http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/layout/index.html

bob smith

I have two JLabels with different lenght of text. One JLabel is below the other. I'd like to get the two "colons" in them to line-up vertically.

I tried padding one with "space" characters, but that didn't line up perfectly. My guess is that certain characters have different widths.

(I tried the align vertical and horizontal properties, etc but they didn't work.)

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name:

Label2 Last Name:

Thanks,

Maybe try a fixed-width font like Courier?

Thanks.

Knute Johnson

I have two JLabels with different lenght of text. One JLabel is below
the other. I'd like to get the two "colons" in them to line-up
vertically.

I tried padding one with "space" characters, but that didn't line up
perfectly. My guess is that certain characters have different
widths.

(I tried the align vertical and horizontal properties, etc but they
didn't work.)

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space
character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name: Label2 Last Name:

Thanks,

Here are two examples;

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import javax.swing.border.*;

public class test2 extends JPanel {
public test2() {
super(new GridBagLayout());

GridBagConstraints c = new GridBagConstraints();
c.gridx = 1; c.fill = GridBagConstraints.HORIZONTAL;
c.weightx = 1.0;

Border b = BorderFactory.createLineBorder(Color.BLUE,1);

// both labels will be the same size and the text will
// be right aligned
JLabel l1 = new JLabel("My First Name:",JLabel.RIGHT);
l1.setBorder(b);
JLabel l2 = new JLabel("Last Name:",JLabel.RIGHT);
l2.setBorder(b);

add(l1,c);
add(l2,c);

setPreferredSize(new Dimension(100,75));

EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
JFrame f = new JFrame();
f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
f.setLayout(new GridBagLayout());
f.add(new test2());
f.setSize(400,300);
f.setVisible(true);
}
});

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import javax.swing.border.*;

public class test extends JPanel {
public test() {
// single label with two lines of text right aligned with css
JLabel l = new JLabel(
short:");
l.setBorder(BorderFactory.createLineBorder(Color.BLUE,1));
add(l);

EventQueue.invokeLater(new Runnable() {
public void run() {
JFrame f = new JFrame();
f.setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.DISPOSE_ON_CLOSE);
f.add(new test(),BorderLayout.CENTER);
f.setSize(400,300);
f.setVisible(true);
}
});

John B. Matthews

I have two JLabels with different lenght of text. One JLabel is below
the other. I'd like to get the two "colons" in them to line-up
vertically.

I tried padding one with "space" characters, but that didn't line up
perfectly. My guess is that certain characters have different widths.

(I tried the align vertical and horizontal properties, etc but they
didn't work.)

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space
character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name:
Label2 Last Name:

This example uses `GroupLayout`:

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.lang.java.gui/PWvVYawy__U/erjchzfASioJ>

John B. Matthews

Eg, In the below text of two JLabels, the addition of a space
character didn't line up the two colons.

Label1 My First Name:
Label2 Last Name:

Maybe try a fixed-width font like Courier?[/QUOTE]

Using an appropriate layout is more reliable.