hw to get started

Victor Bazarov

Please can some 1 tell me hw to get started with c++, first tin to du

Since C++ is an exact language (has a grammar, keywords that need to be
spelled correctly, and is case-sensitive), the first thing to do is to
*commit* to doing it and doing it *properly*. You can demonstrate that
you have achieved the first stage when you learn to use proper grammar,
syntax, punctuation in *all* that you write, *including* any posts on
Usenet. Can you do that?

woodbrian77

Please can some 1 tell me hw to get started with c++, first tin to du

Buy a book or two. Get access to at least one C++ compiler.
Linux makes it fairly easy to use several compilers. You're
also welcome to download the archive on my website;

http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html

I've been working on the software there since 1999.

I recall Jorgen mentioning in a similar question the need
to write and read a lot of software. That's right I suppose.

Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - So far G-d has helped us.
http://webEbenezer.net

Stefan Ram

Victor Bazarov said:
Since C++ is an exact language (has a grammar, keywords that need to be
spelled correctly, and is case-sensitive), the first thing to do is to
*commit* to doing it and doing it *properly*. You can demonstrate that
you have achieved the first stage when you learn to use proper grammar,
syntax, punctuation in *all* that you write, *including* any posts on
Usenet. Can you do that?

»While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy
thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be
strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers.
If you can't yet write competently, learn to.«

Eric Raymond

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills4

»Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally
good mastery of one's native tongue is the most vital
asset of a competent programmer.«

Edsgar Dijkstra

»I've found that some of the best [Software ]developers
of all are English majors. They'll often graduate with
no programming experience at all, and certainly without
a clue about the difference between DRAM and EPROM.

But they can write. That's the art of conveying
information concisely and clearly. Software development
and writing are both the art of knowing what you're going
to do, and then lucidly expressing your ideas.«

Paul Potts
http://praisecurseandrecurse.blogspot.com/2007/03/english-majors-as-programmers.html

»The narrative measures of conjunction use, event
content, perspective shift, and mental state reference
were significantly predictive of later Math scores.«

http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~doneill/papers/Storytelling and math.pdf

»I have never, ever, ever seen a great software developer
who does not have amazing attention to detail.«

http://www.softwarebyrob.com/articles/Personality_Traits_of_the_Best_Software_Developers.aspx

guinness.tony

»I've found that some of the best [Software ]developers
of all are English majors. ...«

Paul Potts

Now THAT's a very interesting correlation. Who would have
thought that high-ranking officers of our army would be
suited to be good software engineers?