  1. erson212

    erson212 Guest

    Please can some 1 tell me hw to get started with c++, first tin to du

    erson212, Feb 23, 2014

  2. Since C++ is an exact language (has a grammar, keywords that need to be
    spelled correctly, and is case-sensitive), the first thing to do is to
    *commit* to doing it and doing it *properly*. You can demonstrate that
    you have achieved the first stage when you learn to use proper grammar,
    syntax, punctuation in *all* that you write, *including* any posts on
    Usenet. Can you do that?

    Victor Bazarov, Feb 23, 2014

  3. erson212

    woodbrian77 Guest

    Buy a book or two. Get access to at least one C++ compiler.
    Linux makes it fairly easy to use several compilers. You're
    also welcome to download the archive on my website;

    http://webEbenezer.net/build_integration.html

    I've been working on the software there since 1999.

    I recall Jorgen mentioning in a similar question the need
    to write and read a lot of software. That's right I suppose.

    Brian
    Ebenezer Enterprises - So far G-d has helped us.
    http://webEbenezer.net

    woodbrian77, Feb 23, 2014
  4. erson212

    Stefan Ram Guest

    »While sloppy writing does not invariably mean sloppy
    thinking, we've generally found the correlation to be
    strong -- and we have no use for sloppy thinkers.
    If you can't yet write competently, learn to.«

    Eric Raymond

    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills4

    »Besides a mathematical inclination, an exceptionally
    good mastery of one's native tongue is the most vital
    asset of a competent programmer.«

    Edsgar Dijkstra

    »I've found that some of the best [Software ]developers
    of all are English majors. They'll often graduate with
    no programming experience at all, and certainly without
    a clue about the difference between DRAM and EPROM.

    But they can write. That's the art of conveying
    information concisely and clearly. Software development
    and writing are both the art of knowing what you're going
    to do, and then lucidly expressing your ideas.«

    Paul Potts
    http://praisecurseandrecurse.blogspot.com/2007/03/english-majors-as-programmers.html

    »The narrative measures of conjunction use, event
    content, perspective shift, and mental state reference
    were significantly predictive of later Math scores.«

    http://www.arts.uwaterloo.ca/~doneill/papers/Storytelling and math.pdf

    »I have never, ever, ever seen a great software developer
    who does not have amazing attention to detail.«

    http://www.softwarebyrob.com/articles/Personality_Traits_of_the_Best_Software_Developers.aspx

    Stefan Ram, Feb 23, 2014
  5. Now THAT's a very interesting correlation. Who would have
    thought that high-ranking officers of our army would be
    suited to be good software engineers?

    guinness.tony, Feb 24, 2014