ie7 and prototype windows

RobG

Can anyone tell me why the log in link on the top right ofhttp://sickplaylist.com
work in firefox, and not in IE7???

Your page has over 3,000 lines of script, plus several thousand more
of included libraries. There are 26 sniffs for IE (not including those
in the libraries, which likely double that).

Consider reading:

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Gregor said:
ameshkin meinte:

"missing } after property list"
in sickplaylist.com (line 3320)

That indicates someone used

{
property1: value1,
property2: value2,
}

instead of

{
property1: value1,
property2: value2
}

JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma.
Start debugging...

Or searching with a RegExp.

PointedEars

Gregor Kofler

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
That indicates someone used

{
property1: value1,
property2: value2,
}

instead of

{
property1: value1,
property2: value2
}

JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma.

I know (it did cost me several hours once...), but I get the error in
FF/Firebug. I didn't bother to track down line 3320.

Gregor

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Gregor said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma [in Object initializers]

I know (it did cost me several hours once...), but I get the error in
FF/Firebug. I didn't bother to track down line 3320.

One of the nice features of Firebug, though, is that you can click the line
number of the error message, and get to the offending line :) (No offense
meant; *this* junk should better be dumped, of course.)

Gregor said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma [in Object initializers]
I know (it did cost me several hours once...), but I get the error in
FF/Firebug. I didn't bother to track down line 3320.

One of the nice features of Firebug, though, is that you can click the line
number of the error message, and get to the offending line :) (No offense
meant; *this* junk should better be dumped, of course.)

Yes, I know (again). Still, whenever I get errors in script somewhere in
a *HTML* document, with thousands of lines, I don't even bother to do
that. Anyway, *now* I did (no more errors in 3320, but that's what I found):

/*$('login_error_msg').innerHTML='Login or password incorrect';
$('login_error_msg').show();
Windows.focusedWindow.updateHeight();
new Effect.Shake(Windows.focusedWindow.getId());*/
//return false;
//alert('succeess!!!');

Grrrreat.

Gregor

ameshkin

thanks. I actually figured it out before i read this.

Are there any GOOD debugging tools for IE7. Firebug works great for
firefox.

ameshkin

Gregor said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma [in Object initializers]
I know (it did cost me several hours once...), but I get the error in
FF/Firebug. I didn't bother to track down line 3320.
One of the nice features of Firebug, though, is that you can click the line
number of the error message, and get to the offending line :)  (No offense
meant; *this* junk should better be dumped, of course.)
Thanks guys.

This bug was not caught by firebug...maybe I have my settings off.
But I finally fixed it. Now I'm having trouble with a prototype
function not working for IE7 on another project.

If you go here
http://www.promoventures.com/quotes2/

Click on any item...and then click on submit on the next page, then
you will be taken here
http://www.promoventures.com/quotes2/step-3.php

On this page, clicking on the YES in IE7 will not work. in firefox, it
calls a simple ajax function and works fine. In IE7. There are no
errors, and nothing happens.

ameshkin

Gregor said:
[...]

David Mark

Gregor Kofler wrote:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn meinte:
JScript does not support the JavaScript-proprietary ECMAScript extension of
trailing comma [in Object initializers]
I know (it did cost me several hours once...), but I get the error in
FF/Firebug. I didn't bother to track down line 3320.
One of the nice features of Firebug, though, is that you can click the line
number of the error message, and get to the offending line :)  (No offense
meant; *this* junk should better be dumped, of course.)

Thanks guys.

This bug was not caught by firebug...maybe I have my settings off.
But I finally fixed it.  Now I'm having trouble with a prototype
function not working for IE7 on another project.

Haven't you figured out that Prototype is a time-waster? You know how
all of those people out there claim that such libraries save you time,
smooth out differences between browsers, etc. Big surprise. They
don't have a clue what they are blithering about.

Remove Prototype from your Web server(s). Learn to write proper
browser scripts, borrowing only from people who know what they are
doing and you will be miles ahead of any Prototype (or jQuery) code-
rearranger (I occasionally see these scripts listed on resumes
alongside JavaScript, CSS, etc. and it is always a red flag.) How
long will it take? Depends, among other things, on your aptitude for
programming. If you have none, then browser scripting is definitely
not for you.