IIS problem

A.J

Hi,

We are usiing IIS 6. and running a load test(8hours) for our
application.Our last run failed and the event log shows the following:
System Log:

A process serving application pool 'DefaultAppPool' exceeded time
limits during shut down. The process id was '2860'.

Application Log:
ISAPI 'C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet_isapi.dll'
reported itself as unhealthy for the following reason: 'Deadlock
detected'.

This is the first time we are getting this type of error.
perfmon is showing w3wp processor time inc. constantly.
but its working set is fine.

Could u please help me out!!!

regards,
Ajay

John Timney \(MVP\)

This can be caused by many things, in code its typically threading problems,
web service calls etc overloading the worker processes, recursive routines
not releasing resources like connections and forcing the app pool to recycle
because of a deadlocked state ie. it has too many threads waiting for
connections to terminate and become available that it thinks its unhealthy.
If your load testing, this is the first place I would look.

Read these and see if it helps you understand the root cause of your problem
better:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/04/Deadlocks/default.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnpag/html/scalenetchapt06.asp

Regards

John Timney (MVP)

John Timney \(MVP\)

also, if your using asp.net version 2.0 check out the health monitoring
option