Image doesn't display properly

rob.anteau

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Java programming, or any programming for that matter.
I have been playing with getting images to display in an application
when an action is performed, but I have been experiencing problems.
When I click the button the image doesn't display. If I click the
button a second time the image displays. Could anyone tell me how I
could resolve this?

Here is a very simple version of my code.

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class SimpleImage extends JFrame implements ActionListener{

Image exampleImage;
JButton btnExample;

public SimpleImage( ) {

super("Image Example");
// Get the image from the file
btnExample = new JButton("Click Me");

Container pane = getContentPane( );

FlowLayout flow = new FlowLayout();

pane.setLayout(flow);
pane.add(btnExample);

// Set up the frame features
setSize(400, 300);
setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
setVisible(true);

//event handler
btnExample.addActionListener(this);
if(e.getSource()== btnExample){
exampleImage =
Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage("happyface.jpg");
Graphics draw = getGraphics();
draw.drawImage(exampleImage, 100, 175, this);

public static void main(String[ ] args) {
SimpleImage frame = new SimpleImage( );

Knute Johnson

[...]

Rob:

You've got some general problems with your program design. First, all
drawing should take place in the paint() of AWT components or the
paintComponent() of Swing components. I know that this is
counter-intuitive but it has to be or your program will not be able to
repaint itself when another window is placed over it and removed or it
is minimized and then subsequently maximized. So draw your image in the
paintComponent(). To change images start a thread in your
actionListener that downloads a new image and then call repaint. The
reason to start a new thread is that you want your GUI to be functional
while the image is being retrieved. If you wait in your actionListener
you are blocking the EDT and none of your GUI will redraw or respond to
input. Also unless you need to use an out of date JDK, forget the
Toolkit.getImage(). Use the ImageIO.read() instead. It is synchronous
and is much simpler than getImage().

Here is a simple example of what you said you wanted to do. Replace the
image file name with something you want to see.

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import java.awt.image.*;
import java.io.*;
import javax.imageio.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class ImageTest extends JPanel {
BufferedImage image;

public ImageTest(BufferedImage image) {
this.image = image;

// if there is no image yet draw the message instead
if (image != null)
g.drawImage(image,0,0,getWidth(),getHeight(),null);
else
g.drawString("No Image Loaded!",20,getHeight()/2);
}

// this method is used to change images
public void setImage(BufferedImage image) {
this.image = image;

// all Swing apps should be created on the EDT
// do your GUI creation in a static method (in this case main)
started
// on the EDT with EventQueue.invokeLater()
Runnable r = new Runnable() {
public void run() {
JFrame f = new JFrame("ImageTest");

// itest is final so that it can be seen in the
actionlistener
// of the button below
final ImageTest itest = new ImageTest(null);
// set the preferred size so the layout manager knows
how big
// to make your component
itest.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400,300));
f.add(itest,BorderLayout.CENTER);

JButton b = new JButton("Load Image");
f.add(b,BorderLayout.NORTH);
b.addActionListener(new ActionListener() {
// start a new thread to get the image so that this
// method will return immediately
Runnable r = new Runnable() {
public void run() {
try {
// you can use a File, URL or
InputStream
// as the source of an image with
ImageIO
BufferedImage bi =
ImageIO.read(new File("saturn.jpg"));
// set the image you just read as
the image
// to draw on your component
itest.setImage(bi);
// call repaint to tell the manager to
// redraw the component
itest.repaint();
} catch (IOException ioe) {
ioe.printStackTrace();
};
new Thread(r).start();
}
});
f.pack();
f.setVisible(true);
}
};
EventQueue.invokeLater(r);

Thomas Weidenfeller

Graphics draw = getGraphics();

Bzzzzt, game over. Your whole application architecture is wrong. Have a
look at the GUI FAQ for a start, and work through Sun's GUI and Java 2D
tutorial. Pointers are in the FAQ.

/Thomas

Oliver Wong

Hello everyone,

I am very new to Java programming, or any programming for that matter.
I have been playing with getting images to display in an application
when an action is performed, but I have been experiencing problems.
When I click the button the image doesn't display. If I click the
button a second time the image displays. Could anyone tell me how I
could resolve this?

Here is a very simple version of my code.
[...]
exampleImage =
Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit().getImage("happyface.jpg");

Have you considered using the ImageIO.read() method?
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/imageio/ImageIO.html#read(java.io.File)

- Oliver