image map > css

John Doe

In order to adopt css, I'm trying to find a solution to replace an image
map I had on a page.
My layout was a simple picture centered horizontally. Four words were on
the pics (as menu) and I used an image map.
Now, I know how to center a pic using CSS and I can use 4 text strings
as menu redirecting users on the appropriate page. what I don't know is
to position the words relatively to the pic like they were part of the
pic : if the page is resized, the pic will remain centered and the text
must be at the same position 'in' the pic.

Any suggestion welcome

Thank you

dorayme

John Doe said:
In order to adopt css, I'm trying to find a solution to replace an image
map I had on a page.
My layout was a simple picture centered horizontally. Four words were on
the pics (as menu) and I used an image map.
Now, I know how to center a pic using CSS and I can use 4 text strings
as menu redirecting users on the appropriate page. what I don't know is
to position the words relatively to the pic like they were part of the
pic : if the page is resized, the pic will remain centered and the text
must be at the same position 'in' the pic.

Any suggestion welcome

Perhaps you could look at Ben C's post in a thread called
"Placing an object on top of a picture" on this ng.

Neredbojias

In order to adopt css, I'm trying to find a solution to replace an image
map I had on a page.
My layout was a simple picture centered horizontally. Four words were on
the pics (as menu) and I used an image map.
Now, I know how to center a pic using CSS and I can use 4 text strings
as menu redirecting users on the appropriate page. what I don't know is
to position the words relatively to the pic like they were part of the
pic : if the page is resized, the pic will remain centered and the text
must be at the same position 'in' the pic.

It could be done with css but I suggest that an image map is the simpler
and more proper way to do such things. While text strings might, indeed,
be resized with font-resizing, how would you maintain the original relative
layout of all items with respect to one another?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit John Doe:
In order to adopt css,

Why? CSS is not divine as such. It's a tool, and using a tool for something
foolish isn't bright, even though it may teach you some technicalities. It
doesn't make sense to adopt CSS for the sake of adopting CSS. If you can't
find meaningful use for it, don't bother.
I'm trying to find a solution to replace an
image map I had on a page.

99.9 % of all image maps on web pages should be replaced by lists of textual
links. Turning an HTML image map into some CSS simulation thereof is worse
than an exercise in futility, since you typically just break the page even
more
Any suggestion welcome

Use links, Luke.