IMGCrush (New Python image optimizing tool)

kiithsacmp

Hello people,

I started to work on a small Python script to simplify mass conversion
of images for a website I was working on.
I eventually got interested in the script more than the site istelf,
and it got a lot bigger, so I released it as an opensource project

It's licensed under BSD and not very polished yet, but I think I
reached a point where it's at least partially usable.
It should run on most Unixes but it's not compatible with Windows
(using unix shell).

IMGCrush (as it's called) tries to save given image (or images, it can
process directories of images as well)
with the smallest possible filesize, so it works similarly to pngcrush
and other png optimizers, with the exception that it can also save to
GIF, JPG, PNG, and user can specify image quality loss he/she can
tolerate.

The way it's used is that the user for instance specfies that he/she
wants an image with smallest possible size with at least 99% quality
or the highest quality image with 50% of size of input, etc. (there
are also other ways to measure quality/size).
Quality isn't measured in a very "human" way now, which will hopefully
change in future.
IMGCrush is also quite slow at the moment, and will probably never be
fast, but it can be a lot faster than it is now.

Project is hosted at Launchpad:
Homepage link: https://launchpad.net/icrush
Downloads: https://launchpad.net/icrush/+download

Use at your own risk :)
run "imgcrush --help" for usage instructions.

Criticism/ideas/whatever is welcome.

-Kiith-Sa

[...]

Requires ImageMagick and Python (coded in python 2.x, I'm running 2.6
but it might run on older python as well)

Aahz

Requires ImageMagick and Python (coded in python 2.x, I'm running 2.6
but it might run on older python as well)

Why are you using ImageMagick instead of PIL?

kiithsacmp

Why are you using ImageMagick instead of PIL?
--
Aahz ([email protected])           <*>        http://www.pythoncraft.com/

"Look, it's your affair if you want to play with five people, but don't
go calling it doubles."  --John Cleese anticipates Usenet

Mainly because it started as an ImageMagick based bash script :p. But
ImageMagicks ability to load just about any format helps.
Also, from what I see in PIL docs, it doesn't seem to allow to set as
many format specific saving options (especially various rarely used
PNG options), which is extremely important for IMGCrush.