Implementing lookup pages

Kursat

Hi,

In my Windows applications I generally use lookup forms to show a list of
values to users and these windows are generally modal. Users select any item
from list, press OK button and details are displayed on main window. I want
to implement same logic in my ASP.NET applications but I have no idea about
some points such as : "How can I display a modal browser window?", "How can
I get selected item from lookup list when user select an item and then close
modal window by clicking OK button?", "Is it convenient to use this approach
in web applications?"

I want to know your answers for questions above.

Thanks in advance.

Mark Rae

In my Windows applications I generally use lookup forms to show a list of
values to users and these windows are generally modal. Users select any
item from list, press OK button and details are displayed on main window.
I want to implement same logic in my ASP.NET applications but I have no
idea about some points such as : "How can I display a modal browser
window?", "How can I get selected item from lookup list when user select
an item and then close modal window by clicking OK button?", "Is it
convenient to use this approach in web applications?"

Modal dialogs in WebForms are a little trickier than in WinForms.

If you can guarantee that all users of the app will be using IE (e.g. maybe
in a corporate intranet), then you can use:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB220GB220&q=showModalDialog

This can be used to return a value to the calling code in the parent window,
which could be a variant array if you need to return more than one
"value"...

If you need cross-browser support, then you will need either to find a
different method or simulate a dialog by means of a <div> - Ajax has this
built-in:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1T4GGIH_en-GBGB220GB220&q=Ajax+dialog&meta=