integer to char*

rob.ahlberg

I got an integer what I trying to use with allegro function
textout_ex() but it wants an char[]/char* as arg... And I really don't
know how to cast it to one...

moschops

I got an integer what I trying to use with allegro function
textout_ex() but it wants an char[]/char* as arg... And I really don't
know how to cast it to one...

Why feed an int to a function requiring a char*? Do you really want to
pass an integer, or have you confused a character representing a number
with the number itself?

For example, int a = 7 and char a = '7' are very different objects.
There is a difference between the number seven and the character '7'.

I suggest you do not cast an integer to a char*; instead use the integer
to create a char* that is the character representing that number. Look
up ASCII on wikipedia and you'll see the standard numerical
representations for each standard ASCII character. You'll soon see the
link between a number and the numerical code that indicates the
character representing that number in the ASCII character set.

'Chops

Victor Bazarov

I got an integer what I trying to use with allegro function
textout_ex() but it wants an char[]/char* as arg... And I really don't
know how to cast it to one...

Uh... The only "cast" I can think of is the 'lexical_cast' from 'Boost'
library. Otherwise, you probably want to convert the integer into its
external representation. See 'sprintf' or 'std::eek:stringstream', etc.

tragomaskhalos

[...]

Based on the name of the function, I think the OP just needs
an integer-to-string conversion.
Two steps:
1. See http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/misc-technical-issues.html#faq-39.1
to see how to convert an int to a std::string (the FAQ is for doubles,
but
you can adapt it easily to int, and I see no need for the exception
stuff
in that case).
2. textout_ex(std_string_from_step_1.c_str());