Is there already a Python module to access the USPTO web site?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Terry Carroll, May 28, 2005.

  1. I have the need to run periodic searches on the US Patent and
    Trademark Office website, <http://www.uspto.gov/>. I need a Python
    module to do this. Before I reinvent the wheel, I thought I'd check
    to see if anyone knew of such a beast.

    For instance, I'd like to be able to pass an argument like one of
    these:

    an/"dis corporation"
    in/newmar-julie

    to http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/search-adv.htm and get a list of
    all the patents owned by Dis Corporation, or invented by the 1960s
    Catwoman actress; or pass a patent number like 4,150,505 to
    http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/srchnum.htm to bring up a particular
    patent.

    Then I want to be able to parse out the patent metadata, e.g. inventor
    names, dates filed and issued, etc.

    Has this already been done?

    The closest my google searches have turned up is
    http://hacks.oreilly.com/pub/h/1724 , but that turns out to be Perl
    rather than Python, and not quite dead-on anyway.

    Terry Carroll, May 28, 2005

  2. Thanks. That seems a little more than I need, but it looks
    intriguing.

    Terry Carroll, May 29, 2005