javascript IDEs

Xah Lee

if i use javascript as a language (say, doing math computations) and
not using any of DOM/DHTML, it's quite a pain to always run thru
browser/html.

is there some IDE or emacs mode where i can run javascript much like a
pure scripting language where it prints to the screen?

Xah
(e-mail address removed)
∑ http://xahlee.org/

Evertjan.

Xah Lee wrote on 02 sep 2005 in comp.lang.javascript:
if i use javascript as a language (say, doing math computations) and
not using any of DOM/DHTML, it's quite a pain to always run thru
browser/html.

is there some IDE or emacs mode where i can run javascript much like a
pure scripting language where it prints to the screen?

The command-based script host (CScript.exe)

Windows Script Host (WScript.exe)

<http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/e
n-us/cscript_overview.mspx>

<http://www.winguides.com/scripting/reference.php?id=107>

Martin Honnen

Xah said:
umm... I'm on a Mac?

I don't know about IDEs but if you want a simple shell then you can use
Spidermonkey or Rhino, the JavaScript engines the Mozilla organization has:
<http://www.mozilla.org/rhino/>
<http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/>
Rhino is implemented in Java so you need Java (which is available for
the Mac) to run it but has the advantage that Mozilla distributes
compiled Java classes for download so you can easily download that and
simply run for instance the JavaScript shell with Java.
Spidermonkey is implemented in C and Mozilla does not distribute
binaries of the engine and the shell itself so you would need to
download the src and build it on the Mac.

John Fereira

if i use javascript as a language (say, doing math computations) and
not using any of DOM/DHTML, it's quite a pain to always run thru
browser/html.

I don't think it's really much of a pain to wrap the javascript with a
couple of html tags. The MyEclipse extension to eclipse has a built in
browser and javascript editor that will allow quick development. The
Venkman (sp?) javascript debugger extension for Firefox is also really nice.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>
, dated Fri, 2 Sep 2005 14:56:48, seen in Xah
Lee said:
if i use javascript as a language (say, doing math computations) and
not using any of DOM/DHTML, it's quite a pain to always run thru
browser/html.

is there some IDE or emacs mode where i can run javascript much like a
pure scripting language where it prints to the screen?

I have something that might help, although at much greater effort
something better might be or may have been coded. It can be used as a
programmable calculator.

See <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-quick.htm> (don't use that
page; take a local copy). Note that it does not use a code file, so if
you write an uninterruptible loop, all may be lost.

I keep a button that runs that page permanently available.

AFAICS, it'll work on a Mac.