JBOSS vs TOMCAT

Siva kumar VP via JavaKB.com

hi

JBOSS ia the Application Server but TOMCAT is the JSP/Servlet engine (web
server) i mean EJB's cannot run in TYOMCAT

is it the only difference between JBOSS and TOMCAT

what are all the other main differences help me out

Bjorn Abelli

JBOSS ia the Application Server but TOMCAT is the JSP/Servlet engine (web
server) i mean EJB's cannot run in TYOMCAT

Wikipedia:

An application server is a server computer in a
computer network dedicated for running certain
software applications.

Tomcat is a servlet container, i.e. provides a framework for deploying and
running servlets (including JSP) in a webserver.

With the limited definition of application servers you could say that Tomcat
is also an application server, as you can build complete applications with
only servlets. However, that would be too restricted, as a common
requirement for modern application servers is to handle transactions and
database connections "transparently", which isn't built into Tomcat.
is it the only difference between JBOSS and TOMCAT

You can't really talk about any "differences" between JBoss and Tomcat, as
JBoss is an application server that *includes* Tomcat.
what are all the other main differences help me out

In our world of Java, it's more common to refer to J2EE as a more complete
reference of what an application server can and should include, of which
Tomcat only implements a part, while the complete download of JBoss
(including Tomcat) conforms to the full J2EE specification, and hence is a
more "complete" application server.

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/
http://www.jboss.org/products/jbossas

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/

// Bjorn A

Noah Fiedel

Tomcat does indeed provide for transparent database connection pooling.
It's transparent, very easy, and has excellent performance. Check out
the DBCP - Database Connection Pooling, component on
jakarta.apache.org.

As for transactions - there are any number of open/closed source data
binding tools that can run on Tomcat or any other servlet container and
provide transactional integrity. J2EE / EJBs are just *one* way of
providing for transactional integrity - one which burned my past
company hard with the overhead : benefit ratio.

That said - if you *need* EJBs or other J2EE features than by all
means, choose JBOSS. My current company uses Tomcat for very intensive
applications including database access, legacy system integration, SOAP
serving via AXIS and more...