JMX to manage application status

Matthew Inger

From what i understand, JMX can be used to restart applications that
may have failed. Say for instance, I have a job server which is responsible
for executing the background processes, such as long running stored
procedures, etc...

I have two instances running, one which passively sits around and does
nothing, and one which actively responds to requests. Job requests
are made via JMS.

Now, if the active server goes down, the passive server should become
active. However, I would like to use JMX to do the following:

1. Let the passive server know that it needs to become active
2. Restart the server that went down, and put it in passive mode

Does anyone have any thoughts on how JMX can help me do this? What about
situations where I don't have a backup running? Can i have JMX restart
the application in that scenario?