JSP HTML mail with links

nino9stars

Hello everyone,

I have written a JSP page that sorts through a series of information in
the database, takes a bunch of user information and sends out a
customized email in HTML format to the user. This HTML email shows up
fine for the user to their Yahoo account, but this is where the problem
kicks in. Whenever the user goes to click on one of the links off the
email, an error message pops up warning that the address might not be
valid, and the email could be a fraud? I tried testing it with the link
being www.yahoo.com and it didn't work? Any ideas? Every other email I
get from other sites (like Macys.com or Evite) all work fine. Is this
something that can be fixed from my side?

In case it matters, the from address is my company account:
(e-mail address removed), and I use smtp.sbcglobal.net to send out my
emails (as I do not have my email hosted at my office).

I think I might be posting this in the wrong group, but I have NO IDEA
where else to post it. I have tried contacting Yahoo about this, but
they are utterly incompetent. If you have another suggestion as to
where I might be able to get help, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks,
Nino Skilj

Andrew Thompson

Hello everyone,

I have written a JSP page that sorts through a series of information in
the database, takes a bunch of user information and sends out a
customized email in HTML format to the user. This HTML email shows up
fine for the user to their Yahoo account, but this is where the problem
kicks in. Whenever the user goes to click on one of the links off the
email, an error message pops up warning that the address might not be
valid, and the email could be a fraud?

Sounds like over-kill, but it also sounds like a
measure to provide extra security to the client
(the Yahoo email user).

After all - the address might not be valid, and many
links sent in email are from some shady character in
a country of which we are only vaguely aware, complaining
how the former 'president for life' had considerable personal
fortunes that .. well if you have a bank account..
...I tried testing it with the link
being www.yahoo.com and it didn't work? Any ideas? Every other email I
get from other sites (like Macys.com or Evite) all work fine. Is this
something that can be fixed from my side?

I very much doubt it, as any 'fix' equates to a 'security hole'.

OTOH, you do not specify exactly how you are writing the
links, try these variants..

1)

2)

3)
Money!!!!</a>

If I guess correctly, the first form is the least likely to
invoke security warnings, it points to the the same place
as the text (so there is no mystery about where it leads).

OTOH, the final form, which both has a different text to the
link, and attempts to open the page in a new browser window,
will most likely cause problems (for a number of reasons).

You would not also be throwing JS into the mix, would you?

Andrew T.

Andrew Thompson

...I tried testing it with the link
being www.yahoo.com and it didn't work? Any ideas? Every other email I
get from other sites (like Macys.com or Evite) all work fine. Is this
something that can be fixed from my side?

Sorry. I largely missed that part of your original post.

If other links work as you expect them to, and yours don't,
it definitely supports that it is something you are doing wrong.

OTOH, since this ultimately boils down to a problem with
the HTML in your email, it is (strictly speaking) off-topic for
this group. Unfortunately, I cannot immediately think of
a group that would welcome this post, as the only HTML
oriented group I know of, stresses that it is HTML for the
WWW, as opposed to 'email'.

Andrew T.