Keyboard accessible menu

Andrus Moor

I want to use the keyboard keys for navigation in menu:

1. Alt+hotkey must activate menu bar
2. Left and right arrow must move between menus,
3. Up and Down arrow move between menu items.
4. Enter key must select menu item.

Basically, I want the menu to behave like ordinary OS menu.

I have searched the whole web but havent find any such sample.

Any sample of such menu script ?

Andrus.

Jim Ley

I want to use the keyboard keys for navigation in menu:

1. Alt+hotkey must activate menu bar
2. Left and right arrow must move between menus,
3. Up and Down arrow move between menu items.
4. Enter key must select menu item.

Basically, I want the menu to behave like ordinary OS menu.

Then leave it to HTML, since the browser is the only thing in the loop
which knows what the ordinary OS menu behaves like.

ACCESSKEY is presumably the piece of HTML you're missing.

Jim.

Andrus Moor

Jim Ley said:
Then leave it to HTML, since the browser is the only thing in the loop
which knows what the ordinary OS menu behaves like.

ACCESSKEY is presumably the piece of HTML you're missing.

Are there any samples about using keyboard enabled menu? I think I can
implement this only for IE and leave this functionality not implemented in
Mozilla.

I have seen a sample which uses buttons as main menus
http://www.webreference.com/dhtml/column29/6.html it uses accesskey for
main menu bars.

However, I want to select also menu sub-item from keyboard only.

Jim Ley

Are there any samples about using keyboard enabled menu? I think I can
implement this only for IE and leave this functionality not implemented in
Mozilla.

All good menu systems should work fine with the tab key, that is how
you navigate through menus in my OS...
However, I want to select also menu sub-item from keyboard only.

If you want to do it with other keys you'll have to invent yourself.
It should be possible in IE and Mozilla and many others.

Jim.