Lazy Javadoc question

Roedy Green

Every time I run Javadoc it generates some HTML like this:

<HEAD>
<!-- Generated by javadoc (build 1.6.0_13) on Fri May 01 06:16:21 PDT
2009 -->
<TITLE>
Affirm
</TITLE>

<META NAME="date" CONTENT="2009-05-01">

When the date Javadoc was run, not the date the content changed.

This triggers huge amounts of nugatory commits to the source
repository and masks the real changes. Is there an easy way to turn
this off?

I suppose the other approach not to put it in the repository. I
though it would be useful to track changes to the public API.

--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
http://mindprod.com

"Species evolve exactly as if they were adapting as best they could to a changing world, and not at all as if they were moving toward a set goal."
~ George Gaylord Simpson

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
Every time I run Javadoc it generates some HTML like this:

<HEAD>
<!-- Generated by javadoc (build 1.6.0_13) on Fri May 01 06:16:21 PDT
2009 -->
<TITLE>
Affirm
</TITLE>

<META NAME="date" CONTENT="2009-05-01">

When the date Javadoc was run, not the date the content changed.

This triggers huge amounts of nugatory commits to the source
repository and masks the real changes. Is there an easy way to turn
this off?

I suppose the other approach not to put it in the repository. I
though it would be useful to track changes to the public API.

Java docs are output from the build process. You will want to check
the ZIP with all the java docs into source control to keep the
artifact, but you do not want to store each HTML file. The change
history can be extracted by the source control via the source file
itself.

Arne