Lock down print access on Intranet

Guest

I work with an application that is currently mixed HTML and JavaScript. It
pulls up documents into the Office application that created it or as PDF. The
PDFs can be locked down and so can the Office docs with a password, but if
that password is lost or the document corrupted, we can't recover it.

Is there a way to tell IIS or Internet Explorer to not allow printing of
certain documents by type, location (IP) or some such thing? And where would
such a requirement be, ie, on the IIS box, in the pages, etc.

I want to convert the site to ASP.NET, so this functionality would goose the
project along.

TIA

E.

IPGrunt

I work with an application that is currently mixed HTML and JavaScript. It
pulls up documents into the Office application that created it or as PDF. The
PDFs can be locked down and so can the Office docs with a password, but if
that password is lost or the document corrupted, we can't recover it.

Is there a way to tell IIS or Internet Explorer to not allow printing of
certain documents by type, location (IP) or some such thing? And where would
such a requirement be, ie, on the IIS box, in the pages, etc.

I want to convert the site to ASP.NET, so this functionality would goose the
project along.

TIA

E.

I believe you can disable the built-in printing feature of IIS (which I
believe is a webdav extension) by disabling its application mapping in IIS.

However, there's no way that I know of to prevent a user from printing a
webpage. After all, it's the users' browser, not yours.

That's the perspective from ASP.NET. There might be, however, some kind of
policy setting using Active Server that would disable IE printing.

You might ask in the system admin newsgroup, or take a look directly at the
Group Policy manager in Windows server.

-- ipgrunt