looking for algorithms: e, sqrt,...

Ralf Müller

Moin,

I'm looking for some algorithms to get arbitrary roots of numbers other
irrational numbers. these numbers should be at least 100000 digits long.

What i really want is a distribution of the numbers 0..9. Therefor i allready
got a ruby-script, but to produse such long numbers seems to be difficult.
Till now i use the 'pi.rb' from the samples inside the ruby source, fibonaccis
and e, generatet with the bigfloat-extension from raa.

Does anyone know a good source for such algorithms (no matter which lang)?

thanks

ralf

------------------------------------

Stephan Kämper

Moinmoin,

Where in Northern Germany are you?
I'm looking for some algorithms to get arbitrary roots of numbers other
irrational numbers. these numbers should be at least 100000 digits long.

What i really want is a distribution of the numbers 0..9. Therefor i allready
got a ruby-script, but to produse such long numbers seems to be difficult.
Till now i use the 'pi.rb' from the samples inside the ruby source, fibonaccis
and e, generatet with the bigfloat-extension from raa.

Does anyone know a good source for such algorithms (no matter which lang)?

The 'Numerical Recipes in ...' (available in Pascal, FORTRAN, C and C++
IIRC) might be worth checking. http://www.nr.com has a link to PDFs of
the chapters.

You surely find more details when googeling (of whatever your favourite
search machine is) for "roots numbers irrational calculation algorithm".
If you add "ruby" to the list of words you're left with just 22 web
sites to visit. :)

HTH

Happy rubying

Stephan

Ralf Müller

Am Donnerstag, 3. Juni 2004 14:23 schrieb Stephan Kämper:
Moinmoin,

Where in Northern Germany are you?
Now I'm in Berlin, but lived in Kiel for 14 years.
And you?
The 'Numerical Recipes in ...' (available in Pascal, FORTRAN, C and C++
IIRC) might be worth checking. http://www.nr.com has a link to PDFs of
the chapters.
Sounds great.

thank you for fast answer.

regards
ralf

--
------------------------------------
Dipl.-Phys. Ralf Müller

Ara.T.Howard

Moin,

I'm looking for some algorithms to get arbitrary roots of numbers other
irrational numbers. these numbers should be at least 100000 digits long.

What i really want is a distribution of the numbers 0..9. Therefor i allready
got a ruby-script, but to produse such long numbers seems to be difficult.
Till now i use the 'pi.rb' from the samples inside the ruby source, fibonaccis
and e, generatet with the bigfloat-extension from raa.

Does anyone know a good source for such algorithms (no matter which lang)?

thanks

ralf

http://sources.redhat.com/gsl/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ruby-gsl/

perhaps you'll also be interested in this

http://www.gfd-dennou.org/arch/ruby/

cheers.

-a