Make alternative like NAnt, rake, ... written in python?

Achim Domma

Hi,

I'm looking for a tool to automate build tasks like copying files,
zipping them up, change config files .... NAnt works fine, because it's
quite easy to extend in C#, but it would even easier to write tasks in
Python.

SCons is the only Python tool of this kind which I know. But SCons is
much to complicated and not easy to extend. Rake looks very nice, but is
written in Ruby. Is there something similar in Python?

regards,
Achim

Paul Boddie

Achim said:
I'm looking for a tool to automate build tasks like copying files,
zipping them up, change config files .... NAnt works fine, because it's
quite easy to extend in C#, but it would even easier to write tasks in
Python.

SCons is the only Python tool of this kind which I know. But SCons is
much to complicated and not easy to extend. Rake looks very nice, but is
written in Ruby. Is there something similar in Python?

The Waf build system might be something to consider:

http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/bksys.html

The claim is that it's better architected and faster than SCons,
although I haven't investigated this myself.

Paul