Menu Loop & DB

John Smith

Hi,

I'm trying to create an expandable menu system that updates depending on the
page that you are on, if a page has sub sections and you are on that page or
one of the sub sections then the menu will remain expanded.

The database layout is along the lines of : ID | pagetitle | subpage
This results in, for example, 'MyExamplePage' having the values : 12 |
MyExamplePage | 0
But the subpages that are linked to this page having the values : 17 | Menu
Option 1 | 12

The subpage value 12 being attached to the ID of the page that it is a
sub-page of.

Is this the correct way that the database should be layed out in an instance
like this ?

How would I work backwards through it to keep the menu expanded if I am on
the page Menu Option 1 ?

Thanks

J.

'objRS1 is a fixed record for the rest of the page data

'Start Loop
Do

'Write the page title
Response.Write(objRS("pagetitle")) & "<br>"

'Check to see if the record we've just written is the page we're on.
If int(objRS1("ID"))=int(objRS("ID")) Then

' Grab all of the records from the DB with the same subpage value
strQuery2 ="SELECT pagetitle FROM content WHERE subpage='" &
int(objRS1("ID")) & "'"
set objRS2 = objConn.Execute(strQuery2)

'Check to see if there are any & then start writing them
If Not objRS2.EOF then
Do Until objRS2.EOF
Response.Write(objRS2("pagetitle")) & "<br>"
objRS2.MoveNext
Loop
End If
End If