Microsoft SQL Server Error 5123

thersitz

Hi,

I have VStudio2005, SQLServer 2005 dev edition loaded on a windowsXP Pro
machine.

I installed it ok. I just attempted to load the Personal Web Site Starter
Kit (I downloaded off Microsoft's site) to use with VStudio 2005 --
Installing it from the MS site failed without any error messages. When I
used VSTudio to open, it loaded ok, but when I went to view the
default.aspx page I got this error:

-----------------
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When
connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that
under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections.
(provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating
Server/Instance Specified)
------------------

So I tried to attach the database itself to my SQL 2005 instance and
received this error:

------------------
Attach database failed for Server 'XXXXXXX'. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)

Additional Information

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch.
(Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 123(The filename, directory
name or volume label syntax is incorrect.) while attempting to open or
create the physical file 'C:\Documents and Settings\thisUser\My
Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\WebSite1\App_Data\D:\Documents and
Settings\JKING\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\WebSites\WebSite1\App_Data\Personal.MDF_log.LDF'. Could not open new
database 'D:\Documents and Settings\JKING\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\WebSites\WebSite1\App_Data\Personal.MDF'. CREATE DATABASE is aborted.
File activation failure. The physical file name D:\Documents and
Settings\jking\My Documents\Visual Studio
2005\WebSites\WebSite1\App_Data\Personal+log.LDF" may be incorrect.
(Microsoft SQL Server, Error:5123)

--------------------------------

I don't have a clue who JKING is and my D: drive is my dvd drive.

I googled error 5123 and found this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/836873 -- and began the workaround section
titled : Use SQL Server Enterprise Manager. I located the property sheet in
my SQL 2005 Server Management Studio for the default location of the db and
logs -- those fields were empty. I did not change as of yet -- because I
would like a little clarity on what is going on before I proceed.

Can anyone illuminate why I am getting these errors? Why attaching a db
errors because of a JKING user that does not even exist? Why the property
sheet on my SQL 2005 install has no default db and log entries?

thanks

sloan

When you restore a database, it defaults to the physical paths used by the
original person.
You have to override those......

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data is typical.

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\Mydatabase.mdf and
Myadatbase.ldf

You have options here, because in a production environment, you want the mdf
and ldf(log) on seperate disk drives.

thersitz

Thanks Sloan. That at leasts verifies what I was able to cipher via google.
This is a new install on a new machine, though, so there is no previous user
or no restored db. Does that account for why the property sheet had no
default directories for the db and log files? Shouldn't those directories
have been inputted upon install?

I've been doing a lot of googling and have found numerous folk come across
these errors I cited below -- though no definite explanation on how to
confront them or what they are. Apparently the Starter Kit I downloaded and
installed is faulty -- even though I downloaded it from a Microsoft site --
and maybe this jking is or was a Microsoft employee and the starter kit was
developed on his desktop. Regardless, I dumped it.

Before getting VStudio 2005 and SQLServer 2005 developer edition -- I toyed
a bit with the Express versions Microsoft offers up. I had no problems
installing some starter kits with those apps. Do you know if these Starter
Kits by chance work only with the express editions of the apps?

thanks again.