Modifying Class Object

Steve Holden

Alf said:
* Stephen Hansen: [...]
I've heard that before, and have no idea why, nor any real interest in
solving it: I don't want to read cpl via Usenet, and prefer to read it
as a mailing list. Somewhere between Gmail->python.org->python.org
<http://python.org>'s usenet server->the world, some people don't seem
to get my posts. Yet it shows up on some news servers, not others.

No idea. Nothing I know of can solve it.

Not sure, but perhaps it's possible to mail directly to gmane?
Is there *any* problem you don't have a fatuous answer for?

regards
Steve

Steve Holden

Stephen said:
On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Alf P. Steinbach <[email protected]

Right.

"pass by value" is a lower level notion.

And as you show below, in the paragraph marked [1], it can be used
to describe call by sharing very succinctly and precisely, just as I
did... ;-)

No. There's nothing at all succinct or precise about either "value" or
"reference" when speaking of programming languages, and using both
together just compounds that. They are loaded words. The phrase "call my
value where value is an object reference" is not clear, not obvious, not
helpful. It requires far too much explanation of every single word
there, depending on the background of who you are speaking to, to
explain how it does not exactly use any of the words in a way which the
person may be expecting, and making sure they understand that it does
not imply anything that those words usually imply.

I'm not even going to bother further-- I shouldn't have to begin with--
your entire post is full of arguments with no more weight then, "I say
this means that, and its clearer" with absolutely no regard for the fact
that all of these words have weight and meaning to the world outside of
your head.
[several paragraphs-worth of bothering further]

So you didn't believe me when I said
Of course this won't make the slightest difference. "'When I use a
word,' said Humpty ..."

regards
Steve

Terry Reedy

As far as the language spec is concerned the argument passing mechanism
seems to me to be identical to assignments, not just "very much like".

Except for the cross-namespace nature of the assignment, yes. Glad you
agree.
Your phrase "or objects derived therefrom" seems to imply that immutable
objects can be copied

No. Given

def f(*args, **kwds): print(args, kwds)

the objects bound to args and kwds are a tuple and dict *derived* from
(that collect together) the objects passed.

Terry Jan Reedy

Alf P. Steinbach

* Duncan Booth:
The fact that C style pointers are used internally is an detail of the
CPython implementation.

Your statement seems pretty irrelevant to anything.

It's almost hilarious, quoting a single paragraph about how irrelevant the C
pointer is, and responding with something like that.

Do you understand that you're restating (in the form of exemplifying) what
you're quoting?

In CPython objects once created remain in the same memory location (and
their id is their address). Compare that to IronPython where the objects
themselves can move around in memory so they have no fixed address. Try
comparing the IronPython implementation to C pointers and you'll cause a
lot of confusion. e.g. someone might think the id() value is in some way
related to an address.

Did you /read/ what you quoted?

Ruby implements integers without using any pointers at all: there's nothing
in the Python specification which prevents a Python implementation doing
the same for small integers, in fact I believe it has been tried but wasn't
found to improve performance.

All theree of your points about Python are wrong; I don't know about the Ruby point.

First, the current Python language specification formally prevents the
optimization you mention, because there's no support for binding to do anything
but direct binding leaving object identities unchanged.

But in practice that's no big deal though: I can't imagine any code relying on
identities of completely immutable objects.

Second, even the variant that was tried improved performance.

But it would reportedly have wreaked havoc with imperfect C code.

Third, the optimization doesn't do away with pointers. If it did then it would
transform the language completely. The user's view is still one where names
denote pointers.

The terminology of 'objects', 'names', 'references' describes an abstract
machine. The Python runtime can implement it in any way it chooses so long
as those semantics are preserved. One implementation involves 'pointers',

It seems that you're thinking of C pointers.

That's pretty dumb since

(1) it doesn't make sense, and

(2) it has been mentioned in almost every article in this thread, including
my first, and including the single paragraph that *you quoted above*,
which was only about that, that

we're not talking about C pointers here.

Python names denote pointers by definition (of pointer).

but that word implies other baggage which is not a required part of the
model.

The word itself doesn't imply other baggage, no.

It might help to *read* what you're quoting, try to follow references, so on.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Alf P. Steinbach

* Steve Holden:
Alf said:
* Stephen Hansen: [...]
I've heard that before, and have no idea why, nor any real interest in
solving it: I don't want to read cpl via Usenet, and prefer to read it
as a mailing list. Somewhere between Gmail->python.org->python.org
<http://python.org>'s usenet server->the world, some people don't seem
to get my posts. Yet it shows up on some news servers, not others.

No idea. Nothing I know of can solve it.
Not sure, but perhaps it's possible to mail directly to gmane?
Is there *any* problem you don't have a fatuous answer for?

I thought the answer could help.

You thought you cold do a bit of ad hominem attack.

That's the difference between us.

Cheers,

- Alf

Steve Holden

Alf said:
* Steve Holden:
Alf said:
* Stephen Hansen: [...]
I've heard that before, and have no idea why, nor any real interest in
solving it: I don't want to read cpl via Usenet, and prefer to read it
as a mailing list. Somewhere between Gmail->python.org->python.org
<http://python.org>'s usenet server->the world, some people don't seem
to get my posts. Yet it shows up on some news servers, not others.

No idea. Nothing I know of can solve it.
Not sure, but perhaps it's possible to mail directly to gmane?
Is there *any* problem you don't have a fatuous answer for?

I thought the answer could help.

You thought you cold do a bit of ad hominem attack.

That's the difference between us.
Well, the way I see it, you assumed you knew better than Stephen, and
insisted on proposing a solution to a problem that he clearly stated he
had no interest in. I'm not quite sure, given that, what the point of
the advice was.

However, my question was genuine, based on your observed behavior. I
agree I might have phrased it more politely, but I do find your
self-assurance somewhat irritating.

regards
Steve

Alf P. Steinbach

* Steve Holden:
Alf said:
* Steve Holden:
Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
* Stephen Hansen:
[...]
I've heard that before, and have no idea why, nor any real interest in
solving it: I don't want to read cpl via Usenet, and prefer to read it
as a mailing list. Somewhere between Gmail->python.org->python.org
<http://python.org>'s usenet server->the world, some people don't seem
to get my posts. Yet it shows up on some news servers, not others.

No idea. Nothing I know of can solve it.
Not sure, but perhaps it's possible to mail directly to gmane?

Is there *any* problem you don't have a fatuous answer for?
I thought the answer could help.

You thought you cold do a bit of ad hominem attack.

That's the difference between us.
Well, the way I see it, you assumed you knew better than Stephen, and
insisted on proposing a solution to a problem that he clearly stated he
had no interest in.

You're going into motivations, that it seems to me that you're projecting,
saying that any helpful suggestion mean that one thinks one knows better and
implies a desire to demonstrate imagined superiority.

You're trying to portray a helping hand as a negative personal characteristic of
the helper.

"the only reason that guy tries to help you is because he wishes to show how
superior he (thinks he) is".

That's your style in a fair number of postings, and now here:

* ad hominem attack,

* projection (at least the way I read it), and

* inject - noise - about - something - completely - irrelevant

Note that readers can easily guess about motivations for the last.

I'm not quite sure, given that, what the point of the advice was.

There are many people who read just the Usenet group, e.g. via Google groups.

When you say you don't understand the point of the advice, you're saying that

* those people don't matter, and that

* it doesn't matter whether they can read Stephen Hansen's articles.

That's

* slighting Stephen Hansen, and

* showing off an extreme ego-centric view of the world,

sorry.

However, my question was genuine, based on your observed behavior. I
agree I might have phrased it more politely, but I do find your
self-assurance somewhat irritating.

Thanks. :)

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Steven D'Aprano

You thought you cold do a bit of ad hominem attack.

That phrase you keep using, "ad hominem"... it doesn't mean what you seem
to think it means.

An ad hominem attack is not when somebody makes a criticism of you
personally. It is when somebody says something along the lines of "Don't
pay any attention to Alf, he doesn't know what he's talking about, he's a
<whatever>".

You might not like the personal criticism, but that doesn't make it
either an attack or a fallacy.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Steven D'Aprano:
That phrase you keep using, "ad hominem"... it doesn't mean what you seem
to think it means.

An ad hominem attack is not when somebody makes a criticism of you
personally. It is when somebody says something along the lines of "Don't
pay any attention to Alf, he doesn't know what he's talking about, he's a
<whatever>".

<url: http://www.tfd.com/ad+hominem>
ad hominem Latin [æd ˈhɒmɪˌnɛm]
adj & adv
1. directed against a person rather than against his arguments
2. based on or appealing to emotion rather than reason Compare ad rem See also
argumentum ad hominem

You might not like the personal criticism, but that doesn't make it
either an attack or a fallacy.

Steve Holden attacked only at the personal level, via characterization.