Mozilla Firefox compatibility problem

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Eeek. You certainly want to do something about that.
Please understand, that it's potentially completely valid, even with
an HTML 4.01 strict doctype declaration, you can just add it into the
internal subset.

No, even if HTML 4.01 were extendable this way (which it is not and which
is why XHTML exists), any user-defined "subset" would not be HTML at all.

<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt>

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Simon said:
I have resolved my problem. This is what I have to do:

As already said, the `language' attribute is deprecated in HTML 4.
checkmouse = 0;
checkresize = 0;

Variables should be declared before defined, using the `var' keyword.
[...]
Now couldn't one of you have just answered my question and
told me this instead of all this jibber jabber????

Yes, one could. However, this is not a support forum but a discussion
group. Now could you please either change your attitude by 180°, or go
away and never return?
Thanks anyway!

Thanks in advance.

PointedEars

Jim Ley

No, even if HTML 4.01 were extendable this way (which it is not and which
is why XHTML exists),

Please don't talk rubbish, HTML 4.01 is SGML just as XHTML is and is
fully able to be extended using any valid SGML constructs, including
internal subsets.
any user-defined "subset" would not be HTML at all.

<http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2854.txt>

Which is completely irrelevant and says nothing blocking the
situation, indeed it gives licence for just about anything to be
served as text/html.

Jim.

Simon Wigzell

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Simon said:
I have resolved my problem. This is what I have to do:

As already said, the `language' attribute is deprecated in HTML 4.
checkmouse = 0;
checkresize = 0;

Variables should be declared before defined, using the `var' keyword.
[...]
Now couldn't one of you have just answered my question and
told me this instead of all this jibber jabber????

Yes, one could. However, this is not a support forum but a discussion
group. Now could you please either change your attitude by 180°, or go
away and never return?
Thanks anyway!

Thanks in advance.

PointedEars

98% of the posts here are of the "how do I ..." kind. There are certain
people who just like to come on here with a snotty attitude and boost there
egos rather than actually helping the person who is asking for help. This
post of mine is the perfect example. Especially when it comes to browser
compatibility issues - then the snot really starts to fly.

I will neither change my attitude nor go away. If you don't like my posts
then filter them out or ignore them.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jim said:
Please don't talk rubbish, HTML 4.01 is SGML just as XHTML is and is
fully able to be extended using any valid SGML constructs, including
internal subsets.

The ability to extend HTML which is provided by SGML is restricted
by current Internet quasi-standards. Such extended HTML is no longer
Valid HTML. Which is one important reason why XHTML exists.
Which is completely irrelevant

No, it certainly is not.
and says nothing blocking the situation, [...]

It makes it quite clear that only the W3C has the authority to define
what HTML is (from then on):

| The IETF HTML working group closed Sep 1996, and work on defining
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| HTML moved to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). The proposed
| extensions were incorporated to some extent in [HTML32], and to a
| larger extent in [HTML40]. The definition of multipart/form-data from
| [UPLOAD] was described in [FORMDATA]. In addition, a reformulation of
| HTML 4.0 in XML 1.0[XHTML1] was developed.

Find me a section in the HTML 4.01 Specification of the W3C that says that
HTML may be extended using SGML, especially one that contradicts with its
section 7.2, and I concur.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Simon said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said:
Simon said:
[...]
Now couldn't one of you have just answered my question and
told me this instead of all this jibber jabber????

Yes, one could. However, this is not a support forum but a discussion
group. Now could you please either change your attitude by 180°, or go
away and never return?
[...]

98% of the posts here are of the "how do I ..." kind. There are certain
people who just like to come on here with a snotty attitude and boost
there egos rather than actually helping the person who is asking for help.
This post of mine is the perfect example. Especially when it comes to
browser compatibility issues - then the snot really starts to fly.

What part of "discussion group" did you not understand?
I will neither change my attitude nor go away. If you don't like my posts
then filter them out or ignore them.

Will do. Which is your problem, not mine.

PointedEars

Jim Ley

The ability to extend HTML which is provided by SGML is restricted
by current Internet quasi-standards.

So previously your argued that it would not be valid HTML, now you
concede it's only some gibberish about quasi-standards that stop it.
Which is interesting, as you're saying we can't use onresize in a body
element because quasi-standards stop us? despite the fact that all
user agents either support or ignore such an attribute.
Such extended HTML is no longer
Valid HTML.

Yes it is. Stop talking rubbish, or back up your statement by
references to the W3c specification.
Find me a section in the HTML 4.01 Specification of the W3C that says that
HTML may be extended using SGML, especially one that contradicts with its
section 7.2, and I concur.

the text/html RFC is not limited to HTML 4.01, it's as simple as that.
the Registration does not say that it is. In addition the fact that
HTML 4.01 is clearly stated to be an application of SGML, indeed the
internal subset is not even listed in the appendix which recommends
you avoid SGML features...

Jim.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Jim said:
So previously your argued that it would not be valid HTML, now you
concede it's only some gibberish about quasi-standards that stop it.

No, it is the same statement as before, just more in detail. "Extended"
HTML is not Valid HTML because of the reasons given (until contradictory
proof has been provided by you).
Which is interesting, as you're saying we can't use onresize
in a body element because quasi-standards stop us?

No, because W3C "stops" you (who's "us"?).
Quasi-standards define how the Web works. What is not even
covered by quasi-standards has little chance to be implemented.
despite the fact that all user agents either support or ignore such
an attribute.

Which is proprietary behavior. Invalid proprietary code should be
avoided when not necessary. There is a way to write Valid HTML
and using the event handler; this approach should be taken, even
if not standardized as well because there is no implemented 100%
standards compliant DOM.
Yes it is. Stop talking rubbish, or back up your statement by
references to the W3c specification.

No! (Why is it that so many participants of discussions do not know the
most basic rules of discussion?)

*You* made the original claim that HTML can be extended and be still Valid
(and I mean Valid regarding a standardized HTML specification, not only
any validator program), *you* are the one to prove that; it is certainly
not me to prove the opposite to prove you wrong (although I already did
that, you just don't recognize it).
the text/html RFC is not limited to HTML 4.01, it's as simple as that.

Right, by stating that authority over HTML has been transferred to the
W3C, it includes all HTML Recommendations published by the W3C and simply
mentions that there are proprietary extensions:

| In addition to the development of standards, a wide variety of additional
| extensions, restrictions, and modifications to HTML were popularized by
| NCSA's Mosaic system and subsequently by the competitive implementations
| of Netscape Navigator and Microsoft Internet Explorer; these extensions
| are documented in numerous books and online guides.

However, those are not longer to be served as text/html:

| 2. Registration of MIME media type text/html
|
| [...]
| Published specification:
| The text/html media type is now [June 2000, the ed.] defined by
| W3C Recommendations; the latest published version is [HTML401].
| In addition, [XHTML1] defines a profile of use of XHTML which is
| compatible with HTML 4.01 and which may also be labeled as
| text/html.

Of all the HTML Recommendations published by the W3C, only HTML 3.2
and HTML 4.01 are still active and Valid.

Despite considerable proof you still want to deny that the RFC actively
transferred authority over HTML to the W3C (even though it only states
what has already happened 9 years ago) and that both HTML 3.2 and
HTML 4.01 Specifications clearly state which document type declarations
are to be used in Valid HTML while not providing ANY proof that backs up
your original, contradictory, claim? That's ridiculous.

PointedEars

Randy Webb

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

Variables should be declared before defined, using the `var' keyword.

That depends, 100%, on what you are defining it for, and what scope you
want on the variable.

Jim Ley

No, it is the same statement as before, just more in detail. "Extended"
HTML is not Valid HTML because of the reasons given (until contradictory
proof has been provided by you).

You have given no proof at all, all you've done is repeatedly asserted
a fact which is completely in variance to the HTML 4.01 specificaiton,
which clearly states that it is an application of SGML.
Quasi-standards define how the Web works. What is not even
covered by quasi-standards has little chance to be implemented.

Except of course that onresize is completely supported so your claims
about it being not is now the exact opposite of the current claim.
Which is proprietary behavior. Invalid proprietary code should be
avoided when not necessary.

Rubbish, I repeatedly see you using document in your examples, it's
never needed in the scripts, but you continue to use it, de-facto
standards have great value - as you were arguing above, where it was a
de-facto standard you cared about not the actual one.
*You* made the original claim that HTML can be extended and be still Valid
(and I mean Valid regarding a standardized HTML specification, not only
any validator program),

That's what VALID means in SGML, it's very, it's very simple, that's
all VALID means, you can't override the terms and claim other things
in technical subjects.
However, those are not longer to be served as text/html:

Where does it say that? the RFC places no restrictions on what may be
served as text/html .

Jim.

Richard Cornford

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
No! (Why is it that so many participants of discussions do
not know the most basic rules of discussion?)
<snip>

It hasn't occurred to you that when you find yourself at odds with a
large group of seemingly reasonable and rational individuals it might be
time to question your perception of the 'rules'?

My inclination in the past has been to dismiss the more irrational
aspects of your posts as the product of your attempting to communicate
in a second(+) language. But recently you have stated demanding some
sort of 'proof', disregarding the logical reality that outside of
mathematics (and often inside it) nothing can be proved. i.e. the true
cannot be know to be true (at lest when the subject is not tautological
or trivial).

What logic is capable of doing is revealing the false (at least when the
subject is not metaphysical). That reality has a manifestation in debate
where when an assertion is made that you don't agree with you get to say
"This is not true because ...", and attempt to provide an argument that
the individual making the assertion will recognise as a refutation.

Simple assertions of "No" or "Nonsense" or "I am right and you are
wrong" are not contributions towards a debate.

Demanding 'proof' is the politician's excuse for inaction. A purely
rhetorical ploy that when directed towards those that appreciate the
impossibility of proof (i.e. scientists and the like) cannot be
answered, but is sufficient to impress the not so well educated masses.

Richard.

The Magpie

Jim said:
Please don't talk rubbish, HTML 4.01 is SGML just as XHTML is and is
fully able to be extended using any valid SGML constructs, including
internal subsets.
My understanding is that HTML is a *subset* of SGML and that it is not
actually SGML at all. You cannot write SGML documents in HTML although
you *can* write HTML documents in SGML. That is rather an important
difference.

Similarly, XHTML is *not* a subset of SGML at all but is based on XML
and uses standard XML (which is a *super*set of SGML) to represent an
existing subset of SGML, namely HTML. You can write an SGML document in
XML, an XHTML document in XML but not an SGML document in XHTML nor an
XML document in SGML.

I think that if we go down the route of "this is just that, so we can do
what we like" is actually confusing especially for newcomers to the
subject. Technically, you are correct and it is possible to include
features from supersets int subsets and that would, as you say, make
HTML 4+ extensible but that is not the way HTML was meant to be used.

Jim Ley

My understanding is that HTML is a *subset* of SGML and that it is not
actually SGML at all.

Then it's poor understanding. HTML is an SGML Application, it's not a
subset of SGML.
Similarly, XHTML is *not* a subset of SGML at all but is based on XML
and uses standard XML (which is a *super*set of SGML)

XML is not a superset of SGML!
Read the first line of the XML 1.1 spec. abstract
< http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/ >

"The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a subset of SGML that is
completely described in this document"

XML is simply a restriction on SGML Applications.
I think that if we go down the route of "this is just that, so we can do
what we like" is actually confusing especially for newcomers to the
subject.

Validation is only worth considering if you understand it, since a
valid document is neither necessary for success on the web, nor is it
sufficient to say that you've followed a specification. using
features that are near universally supported, but happen to be invalid
in a particular version of HTML is worthwhile, then if you understand
validation, and understand why you're doing it, then using a modified
HTML DTD is very useful. Certainly more useful than using confusing
hacks to keep validitiy to a particular type.

Jim.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Richard said:
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

<snip>

It hasn't occurred to you that when you find yourself at odds with a
large group of seemingly reasonable and rational individuals it might
be time to question your perception of the 'rules'?

You must be kidding. The general rules of discussion that I mentioned
have not been set up by me, but described by philosophers long before,
in ancient Greece and Rome to be precise. You probably want to review
your knowledge, perhaps starting with
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discussion>, continuing with
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_argument> and
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy>.

Until one recognizes that, there is not much point in starting a discussion
anyway because it then does not lead to further knowledge. There is more
to a discussion than just stating that oneself is right and the others are
wrong. Some participants in Usenet have already accepted this; some, which
they obviously demonstrate by their reactions, have not. However, the more
credible arguments and more fruitful discussions tend to originate from the
former group.

PointedEars

The Magpie

Jim said:
Then it's poor understanding. HTML is an SGML Application, it's not a
subset of SGML.
See later.

XML is not a superset of SGML!
Read the first line of the XML 1.1 spec. abstract
< http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xml11-20040204/ >

"The Extensible Markup Language (XML) is a subset of SGML that is
completely described in this document"
You are quite right - XML is a subset of SGML and I was mistaken.
However, I also note that the equivalent document for HTML also has an
equivalent statement that describes HTML as a subset of SGML. I was
wrong - *both* are subsets of HTML.

This, I would submit, points out the very issue I was raising, namely
the confusion that can easily arise if we consider the issues of subsets
and supersets in discussions.

The Magpie

Jim said:
Where does it say that?
I actually looked at the lexical analyser documents for SGML, Jim,
rather than the HTML documents themselves. That, of course, could
equally well be a source of confusion since a we both know there are an
awful lot of documents at the W3C and they don't all agree with each
other all the time.