MS JVM only works in IE when plugin is installed?

PilotYid

I have a strange issue on my PC: I have both the MS JVM and the Sun
plugin (1.3.1) installed, and they were both working fine and I was
able to switch between the 2 using the settings in IE. Something must
have changed on my PC because now, the MS JVM only works in IE when I
have the plugin installed. That is, when I uninstall the plugin (which
I am doing for testing) the MS JVM no longer works, but when I
reinstall the plugin, the MS JVM works fine. I am testing this using
<applet> tags. Can anyone think of any setting that would cause the MS
JVM to only work in IE when the plugin is installed?
Thanks
Aaron

Andrew Thompson

PilotYid said:
I have a strange issue on my PC: I have both the MS JVM and the Sun
plugin (1.3.1) installed, and they were both working fine and I was
able to switch between the 2 using the settings in IE. Something must
have changed on my PC because now, the MS JVM only works in IE when I
have the plugin installed. That is, when I uninstall the plugin (which
I am doing for testing) the MS JVM no longer works, but when I
reinstall the plugin, the MS JVM works fine. I am testing this using
<applet> tags. Can anyone think of any setting that would cause the MS
JVM to only work in IE when the plugin is installed?

A mistake by MS IE programming teams?

Given the obvious solution is 'keep Sun plug-in installed',
I cannot understand your motivation to solve this minor
dilemna.

PilotYid

I wish it were so easy. I am working on an applet that needs to be
supported by the MS JVM and the Sun plugin, so I need to be able to
test it with only the MSJVM installed as well as with the plugin
installed, and I cannot do the first now.

Mickey Segal

I've never heard of this problem after uninstalling the Sun JVM though I've
never tried to uninstall the Sun JVM. There was a similar problem with a
tool that Microsoft put out to remove the MS JVM: the tool had the
unfortunate effect of hosing the Sun JVM. Microsoft pulled its MS JVM
removal tool within hours of the problem being mentioned on this newsgroup.

If uninstalling the Sun JVM has similar problems Sun should fix the bug.

I've always left the MS and Sun JVMs installed and toggled between them for
testing and assumed that this was an authentic environment for each JVM. Do
you have some reason to think this is not so?

Andrew Thompson

Mickey said:
I've always left the MS and Sun JVMs installed and toggled between them for
testing and assumed that this was an authentic environment for each JVM. Do
you have some reason to think this is not so?

I thought I'd sent a reply indicating how to toggle them,
but (looks a round) apparently not.. Check here.
<http://www.physci.org/jvmclean.jsp?pt=deselect>

[ Note that advice is to end users, telling them to select
the Sun VM, but adapt as needed. ]

IE can 'hot swap' between the two VM's with no more
than a page refresh (despite what it might claim
about a 'reboot/restart').