multi-dimensional arrays to 2-dimensional arrays

Wirianto Djunaidi

I have a recursive method that aggregates data in the form of 2-dimensional
arrays.
The problem is at the top of the recursion call, I ended up with
multi-dimensional arrays which depend
on how deep the recursion is.

What is the best way to flatten multi-dimensional arrays back into
2-dimensional arrays?
the data might look like this:
[ [a, b, c], [ [ [d, e], [f, g] ], [h, i] ]
and I would like to be flatten into:
[ [a, b, c], [d, e], [f, g], [h, i] ]

Thanks in advance,
-DJ

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Wirianto said:
Hi,

I have a recursive method that aggregates data in the form of 2-dimensional
arrays.
The problem is at the top of the recursion call, I ended up with
multi-dimensional arrays which depend
on how deep the recursion is.

What is the best way to flatten multi-dimensional arrays back into
2-dimensional arrays?
the data might look like this:
[ [a, b, c], [ [ [d, e], [f, g] ], [h, i] ]
and I would like to be flatten into:
[ [a, b, c], [d, e], [f, g], [h, i] ]

Thanks in advance,
-DJ

I don't think you've properly defined your inputs and outputs. You
shouldn't need an extra "flattening" step if your recursion is correctly
defined.

Wirianto Djunaidi

Yeah, I figure out my problem. The reason I got nested multi-dimension array
is each recursion return a 2-d array. And when I combined them together I
use <<, which add the whole 2-d as 1 object into the result at the lower
stack. I switch it to use += to combine the array and that fix it. :p

Thanks all,
-DJ