Newbie Ant questions

soup_or_power

Hi
Can someone please explain the exclude patterns in an ant build file
(ps: I couldn't find an explanation in Sam's Ant book)?

<copy todir="${x}/y/z" overwrite="true" includeEmptyDirs="false"
failonerror="false">
<fileset dir="${d}/${a}/b/c">
<exclude name="*/**/*"/>
</fileset>
</copy>
I am also looking for help with the following property. What is its
value set to?
<property name="a1" value="$/hello" />

Thanks for your help

sheLta

Hi,
"exclude" pattern means that files which fits with expression in name
property, will not be included by fileset.

For example,

<copy todir="../dest/dir">
<fileset dir="src_dir">
<exclude name="**/*.java"/>
</fileset>
</copy>

in this rule, files which has .java extension in src_dir, will be
included by the fileset. So, will not be copied to ../dest/dir .

Regards.

Kerem.

Rhino

Hi
Can someone please explain the exclude patterns in an ant build file
(ps: I couldn't find an explanation in Sam's Ant book)?

<copy todir="${x}/y/z" overwrite="true" includeEmptyDirs="false"
failonerror="false">
<fileset dir="${d}/${a}/b/c">
<exclude name="*/**/*"/>
</fileset>
</copy>
I am also looking for help with the following property. What is its
value set to?
<property name="a1" value="$/hello" />
It might be better for you to ask this sort of question on the Ant mailing
list since many Java programmers don't use Ant.

You can subscribe to the Ant users mailing list at
http://ant.apache.org/mail.html. Be sure to subscribe to the User list, not
the Developer list; the latter is for people who are trying to extend Ant.
As an Ant newbie, I don't think you'll be in this category for a while.

soup_or_power

Hi Kerem
Thanks for the clarification. My Ant books also uses the same pattern.
My question was about the pattern "*/**/*" Where are these pattern
coming from? Apache Regexp?

To Rhine: subscribing to mailing list means receiving a flood of email.

Rhino

Hi Kerem
Thanks for the clarification. My Ant books also uses the same pattern.
My question was about the pattern "*/**/*" Where are these pattern
coming from? Apache Regexp?

To Rhine: subscribing to mailing list means receiving a flood of email.
That's true in some mailing lists but the Ant list has a pretty low volume,
probably a dozen posts a day on average. The quality is also very high.

To avoid flooding my inbox, I have a filter set up that automatically sends
new mailing list posts to my "deleted items" folder so they get deleted each
night when I shut the computer down. That eliminates any clutter. I just
have to remember to monitor my "deleted items" folder during the day.