Newbie Help

shirazk

I want to know if there is a way to do this is perl
A sample of the data is:

field1,field2,"3232,34,56",field4,field5

and i need to convert it into three individual records:

field1,field2,3232,field4,field5
field1,field2,34,field4,field5
field1,field2,56,field4,field5

The field in quotes might contain many more or less entries, even at
times none.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks a lot.

Gunnar Hjalmarsson

I want to know if there is a way to do this is perl
A sample of the data is:

field1,field2,"3232,34,56",field4,field5

and i need to convert it into three individual records:

field1,field2,3232,field4,field5
field1,field2,34,field4,field5
field1,field2,56,field4,field5

The field in quotes might contain many more or less entries, even at
times none.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Yes, there are ways to do it in Perl.

You forgot to post the code you have so far; Without it it's hard to
help you. Please study the posting guidelines for this group:
before posting the code.

shirazk

I havent done any perl.. i am just starting... now that i know it is
doable, i will try to get some parsing code and post it in a day or
two.. can you tell me a particular command i should use some hint?
thanks for the fast reply and input