:o( .... Can't make a simple composite control work

M O J O

Hi,

I'm playing around with creating composite controls.

I want to create a composite web control, that will create 10 textboxes
and be able to return all their text values.

Here's my code so far...

Imports System
Imports System.Collections.Generic
Imports System.ComponentModel
Imports System.Text
Imports System.Web
Imports System.Web.UI
Imports System.Web.UI.WebControls
Imports System.Collections.Specialized

<DefaultProperty("Type"), ToolboxData("<{0}:MyTextBox
runat=server></{0}:MyTextBox>")> _
Public Class MyTextBox
Inherits CompositeControl

Dim arr As Generic.List(Of TextBox)

Protected Overrides Sub RenderContents(ByVal output As HtmlTextWriter)
If Not (Site Is Nothing) Then
' In design mode...
output.Write("TextBox")
Else
' In runtime...
Call EnsureChildControls()
Call RenderChildren(output)
End If
End Sub

Dim arr As New Generic.List(Of TextBox)
For i As Integer = 0 To 10
Dim t As New TextBox
arr.Add(t)
Me.Controls.Add(t)
Next
End Sub

Public Function GetAllText() As String
Me.EnsureChildControls()

Dim sb As New System.Text.StringBuilder

For Each t As TextBox In arr ' <- Error!!
sb.Append(t.Text & vbCrLf)
Next

Return sb.ToString
End Function

End Class

But I can't make it work.

In the GetAllText function, the arr variable is nothing eventhough I
called the EnsureChildContols method.

What am I doing wrong, and what is the best way (practice) of creating
such a composite control? Can I do it better differently?

Thanks!!

M O J O

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

you basically instantiate a local generic array in CreateChildControls
(local to the method) and therefore the global one, declared in class body,
actually never gets assigned anything.

Change the code in CreateChildControls to:

'NOTE THIS LINE
arr = New Generic.List(Of TextBox)

For i As Integer = 0 To 10
Dim t As New TextBox