Offline windows registry access on *nix platforms.

Discussion in 'Perl' started by r0g, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. r0g

    r0g Guest

    Hi Everybody,

    I do a fair bit of programming in Python and I have to say I find perl a
    little intimidating right now as I don't have a lot of experience with
    it however its the only language I have found that seemed to have a
    library for what I need right now: Win32::Registry (or maybe
    Win32::TieRegistry)

    I way to read/search for windows registry keys from offline hive files
    e.g. NTUSER.DAT on *nix platforms, in my case Ubuntu linux - nothing
    more advanced than that.

    Given that I only need this functionality, performance is a not issue
    and I'm very comfortable in Python I thought I might try and write a
    pair of wrapper functions - one to check the existence of a key, one to
    return a keys values.

    Sadly though I have fallen at the first hurdle, I get "OS unsupported"
    when I type "install Win32::Registry" into CPAN so I guess it's windows
    only :(

    Anyone know of an open source module/library that can do what I want?
    Ideally Python or Perl, but I suppose any free language I can compile or
    easily bundle/distribute would do.

    Alternatively if anyone knows of a *nix app that can decode a windows
    registry into a flat text file?

    At a push I could compile something that can do this on windows and run
    it via wine but I'd really like to avoid that if I can.

    Suggestions & pointers greatly appreciated,

    Roger.

    r0g, Feb 26, 2010

  2. r0g

    r0g Guest

    Actually scrap that, just found "Parse::Win32Registry", happy days! :)

    Roger.

    r0g, Feb 26, 2010