os.system questions

Eric Price

Hi;
I have a couple bugs to work out in the below script; namely, I don't know
how to capture the result of an os.system command, nor am I convinced that
the call to os.system actually results in the execution of the command. Here
is the script:

#!/usr/local/bin/python
import re, os

def freshReboot():
up = os.system("uptime")
if re.search('day|hour', up):
pass
else:
first = up
tup = re.split('min', up)
first = tup[0]
n = len(first)
char = first[n-3:n-2]
if re.match(' ', char):
os.system("/usr/local/etc/rc.d/zz_mysql_starter_script.sh")

Here are my problems:

up = os.system("uptime")
How do I assign the output of "uptime" to the variable "up"?

os.system("/usr/local/etc/rc.d/zz_mysql_starter_script.sh")
When I substitute a test variable for "up", I don't get this script to
actually run. Everything else is tested and works. Why won't this script
run?

TIA,
Eric

It’s tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMMartagline

?

=?windows-1252?Q?Thomas_Kr=FCger?=

Eric said:
up = os.system("uptime")
How do I assign the output of "uptime" to the variable "up"?

| system(command) -> exit_status
|
| Execute the command (a string) in a subshell.

os.system returns the exitcode of the given command. To get the output
try os.popen to os.popen4 or the commands lib.

Thomas

Aahz

I have a couple bugs to work out in the below script; namely, I don't
know how to capture the result of an os.system command, nor am I
convinced that the call to os.system actually results in the execution
of the command. Here is the script:

Although you've already figured out the problem, I'll just make the
standard recommendation for the subprocess module, assuming you have
Python 2.4 or later.