[OT] Book authoring

Miki Tebeka

Greetings,

Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
3. Automatic TOC and index
4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"

Can I somehow use Sphinx?

Thanks,

Grant Edwards

Greetings,

Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
3. Automatic TOC and index
4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

I've used asciidoc extensively and reStructuredText a little. Asciidoc
will produce all the formats you mentioned (though I've only refularly
used HTML and PDF). reStructuredText is what's used for Python docs
isn't it?
Can I somehow use Sphinx?

Don't know what Sphinx is.

And there's always the old stand-by LaTeX, but it's a bit more
heavyweight with more of a learning curve. OTOH, it does produce
text-book quality output.

Nick Dokos

Grant Edwards said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_markup_language

I've used asciidoc extensively and reStructuredText a little. Asciidoc
will produce all the formats you mentioned (though I've only refularly
used HTML and PDF). reStructuredText is what's used for Python docs
isn't it?

Don't know what Sphinx is.

I think Sphinx is used for the python docs: it sits atop rST and does
all the transformations/processing to produce the desired output
( http://sphinx.pocoo.org )
And there's always the old stand-by LaTeX, but it's a bit more
heavyweight with more of a learning curve. OTOH, it does produce
text-book quality output.

There is also orgmode, which has been used for a few books
(http://orgmode.org ). I know it does HTML and PDF (the latter through
latex), but I'm not sure about ePub: ISTR somebody actually did ePub for
his book but I don't remember details. The indexing is manual:
add #+index: foo entries as required. But in general, imo, automatic
indexing for books sucks raw eggs (it works much better for highly
regular source code like the python source base).

Nick

Nick Dokos

Nick Dokos said:
There is also orgmode, which has been used for a few books
(http://orgmode.org ). I know it does HTML and PDF (the latter through
latex), but I'm not sure about ePub: ISTR somebody actually did ePub for
his book but I don't remember details.

Avdi Grimm produced his book "Exceptional Ruby"
(http://exceptionalruby.com ) this way, including ePub formats (I hope
mentioning Ruby in this context is not a punishable offense...)

Apparently, there is calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/ ) that will take
you from HTML to ePub. See this orgmode list article e.g.

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/41826

Nick

Andrea Crotti

Greetings,

Any recommendations for a book authoring system that supports the following:
1. Code examples (with syntax highlighting and line numbers)
2. Output HTML, PDF, ePub ...
3. Automatic TOC and index
4. Search (in HTML) - this is a "nice to have"

Can I somehow use Sphinx?

Thanks,

I think it depends on what you want exactly.
If it's a nice book with a scientific look and many complicated
tables/figures
than I think that LaTeX is the way to go (maybe even org-mode but it's
mainly
for emacs-fans).

The problem with LaTeX is that it's quite tricky to export to other
formats, harder
to learn and not as flexible as a python-based solution as Sphinx.
I would suggest to try Sphinx and see if you're missing something..