Page Not displaying Properly?

Els

={ Advocated }= said:
Well ive redone the layout of the tables, is this better or am i making the
same mistake?

I havent tidied any of the code yet, just working on the layout; nor have
set any heights/widths or anything

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.jones13/Test/NewIndex.htm

Well, that looks a lot cleaner already ;-)
I changed some bits and put it up at
http://home.tiscali.nl/~elizabeth/advocated/newindex.html.
As you can see, already just by putting all widths and
heights in the style block, it becomes easier to see if
percentages and pixels add up.
In this example, I let the heights be in pixels, and the
widths in percentages. You will have to figure out for
yourself if this is suitable, and see what happens if you
have text in the cells, and users would enlarge the font.
Another thing I changed, are the sides. You had them as part
of the table, I put them outside of it. This way, you could
decide to go for a table of 750px width for example, and
have it centered, no matter what resolution or window width
people are using. Then, if people are using only 800 wide,
the sides won't take up 20% of the space.
Oh, and the doctype is strict now ;-)

kayodeok

Which breaks when I make my font larger. Have a look at the
bottom right hand corner.
I didn't check this out in IE, I use Opera and the page doesn;t
break although there are other weird stuff going on when I make the
font 250%

kayodeok

I didn't check this out in IE, I use Opera and the page doesn;t
break although there are other weird stuff going on when I make
the font 250%
^^^
I meant 150%.

I have just had a look at the page in IE6 and I see what you mean.
The rounded corners are stable in Phoenix and Opera at larger font
sizes but different problems show up; probably related to his use
of px in his margins and paddings.

Nico Schuyt

={ Advocated }= said:
Well ive redone the layout of the tables, is this better or am i
making the same mistake?
I havent tidied any of the code yet, just working on the layout; nor
have set any heights/widths or anything
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.jones13/Test/NewIndex.htm

Well, improved I think. The HTML height attribute however doesn't validate.

Have a look at http://www.nicoschuyt.nl/test/advocated.htm for a (quick and
dirty) solution without tables.
Not so easy however I must admit. I'm not fully a newbie anymore but still
find it hard to create a site like http://www.veldmanenveltman.nl/ in CSS.
Maybe you'll end up in a combination of the coding of Els (tables) and mine
(CSS).
The background images with the side.jpg can be accomplished in CSS for
example.
Cheers, Nico
BTW If you post, strip superfluous text from previous messages. Saves us a
lot of scrolling :)