perl embedding test fails on z/OS

dazio_r

I have configured perl-5.8.6 on a z/OS box (v1 R4) using 'sh Configure
-Dmake=gmake -de' and then did 'gmake'.

Then I ran './perl lib/ExtUtils/t/Embed.t' but I get this message :
# embed_test = ./embed_test
ok 2
ok 3
CEE3204S The system detected a protection exception (System Completion
Code=0C4)
..
From entry point S_init_postdump_symbols at compile unit
offset +000003
D8 at entry offset +000003D8 at address
2010D878.
not ok 9 # system returned 11

The error comes due to the following piece of code in Embed.t :
perl_parse(my_perl, NULL, (sizeof(cmds)/sizeof(char *))-1, cmds, env);

c89 is the compiler used. Any thoughts on why the protection exception
is being generated.

Thanks in advance,
Rajarshi.