Plugin methods in (ANSI) C++ ?

Howie

Hi,

in Windows environment there are DLL´s /COM/DCOM/CORBAetc.
in Unix-environment are shared objects /CORBA to deal with plugins.

Is there something in the ANSI-Committee pipeline for such a topic ?

Background: We want to split a big application in several moduls. The
C++ inheritance should be intact over the plugin-interfaces like as C#
does. But we don´t want to switch to C#.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks,

Howie

Ron Natalie

Howie said:
Hi,

in Windows environment there are DLL´s /COM/DCOM/CORBAetc.
in Unix-environment are shared objects /CORBA to deal with plugins.

It's going to be implementation defined. C++ doesn't deal with
linkage issues (dynamic or otherwise) really. By the way
you can do plugins just fine in both environments with shared
libraries (in UNIX speak) or DLL's (in Windows speak) without
resorting to COM or CORBA.

The implementation-specifics for C++ on these platforms invoke
the constructors of static objects when the library is dynamically
loaded. This can set up any information your plugin needs to do
to register itself with the application.