pod6 (for perl6)? [or, simple extension of pods]

ivowel

dear perl experts: I know I am asking too many questions. I promise
to slow down.

I am thinking about *very mildly* extending pod, but with perl6 around
the corner, it would make sense to see what is planned first. I could
not find anything on the web.

Basically, I would want to write a trivial preprocessor that

eliminates the need for '=pod' if there is a '=head*',
eliminates the the need for blank lines,
and that allows mild lookahead. (I like to write and keep my sub
docs together with the subs themselves, but would like to be able to
get them into the main pod documentation as a "SUBROUTINES" section.)

These are changes that would not complicate pod very much, but which I
would find quite useful. YMMV.

(One big problem for me is that emacs formatting may screw up without
these hints. It would be much nicer if some of these made it into pod6
standard, so that they percolate into the emacs formatting
intelligence.)

regards,

/iaw

ivowel

come to think of it, it would be nice also to have a pod feature that
allows including the same code snippet both in the pod and in the code.
For example, I am defining a syntax as perl code, and it seems silly
to have to also copy it into the pod.

Michele Dondi

Michele Dondi

come to think of it, it would be nice also to have a pod feature that
allows including the same code snippet both in the pod and in the code.
For example, I am defining a syntax as perl code, and it seems silly
to have to also copy it into the pod.

I'm not really sure because, amongst other things, I've not looked
into the latest synopsis, but I think it will certainly be possible.
If not for anything else, because IIRC on the one hand all pod streams
will be conveniently available from code, and on the other one code
constructs, which will be objects, will have methods to return their
source, parse tree, and stuff like that. All this with the caveat (i)
that I must RC, of which I'm not really sure (ii) that what I may have
seen in early design stages made its way through later ones.

Michele