Problem retrieving data from SQL Server

Altman

I am a newbie to both SQL Server and webservices. I have mostly done
programing in Foxpro, VB6, and a little C++, and VB.net. I have been able
to make a simple webservice work but now I am trying to go one step further
and return XML string of a table. I am trying to return the Customer table
of the northwind database. I am creating the webservice on a XP machine and
user 'NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE'. This is my function
<WebMethod()> _

Public Function GetData() As String

Dim ctest As String, custDS As New DataSet

Me.SqlConnection1.Open()

Me.CustData.Fill(custDS)

Me.SqlConnection1.Close()

ctest = custDS.GetXml()

custDS = Nothing

Return ctest

End Function

If I do the same function in a vb.net app it works, what am I doing wrong?

Knut-Olav Traa

Hello,

When you run the function as a vb.net app, you are accessing the db as
your own windows user (which probably have access to the database).
When the web service is trying to access the database, it uses the
user 'NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE'.

You should create a new user in the sql server that has access to
database and specify this user in the connectionstring when creating
the sqlconnection object, like specified in:

(http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...mdatasqlclientsqlconnectionclassopentopic.asp)

Best regards,

Knut-Olav Traa
knut-olav.traa [AT] bekk.no