problem using mkmf on redhat 8

Joe Van Dyk

Hi,

I recently upgraded Ruby to 1.8.2 on a RH 8 machine.

I'm trying to install ruby-gnome2 on it. Here's what I get:
$ ruby extconf.rb
extconf.rb: Entering directory `glib'
checking for GCC... no
checking for rb_define_alloc_func()... no
checking for rb_block_proc()... no
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... no
checking for gobject-2.0... yes
checking for G_PLATFORM_WIN32... no
checking for g_spawn_close_id()... no
checking for g_thread_init()... no
creating Makefile

But, gcc is in the path.

Ideas?

Joe Van Dyk

Nevermind again, still having problems:

% ruby extconf.rb
checking for GCC... no
checking for rb_define_alloc_func()... no
checking for rb_block_proc()... no
checking for new allocation framework... yes
checking for attribute assignment... no
checking for gobject-2.0... yes
checking for G_PLATFORM_WIN32... no
checking for g_spawn_close_id()... no
checking for g_thread_init()... no
creating Makefile

% which gcc
/usr/bin/gcc

Why on earth can't it find gcc? On RH 8, btw.