Problem using 'Post' with Integrated Windows Authentication

Pete Mahoney

I am trying to 'POST' values from a form in a ASP file that
has anonymous access permissions. I can retrieve the form
values when I redirect to this page from another page which
has also has anonymous access permissions.

However, if I change the page from which I'm redirecting to
use NT authentication, then I cannot retrieve the values of
the form fields using POST method.

Specifically, if the following file (MyStart.asp) has anonymous
access permissions in IIS, then I get redirected to TestPost.asp
page, and I can see the values that I submit in the fields.
However, if I change it to use NT authentication under IIS, then
there are no values in Request.Form("fname"), and
Request.Form("lname")

Now I had used 'GET' to start with, and that works fine until you get
too much text inside of one form. I really need to use NT
authentication in order to get the remote user so I can see if they
have permision to use the website. Any help on how to solve this
problem would be great. What I need is a way to pass large amounts of
data to a database, and also use NT authentication.

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<%
Response.Redirect( "TestPost.asp" )
%>
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META content="Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0" name=GENERATOR>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P> </P>

</BODY>
</HTML>

The following file (TestPost.asp) is based on Form_JScript.asp
sample that is included with IIS. It is set to have anonymous
access permissions under IIS.

<%@ Language=VBScript %>
<head>
<title>Test Post</title>
</head>

<!-- Display header. -->

<FONT face="ARIAL, HELVETICA" size=4>
<B>Form Posting Welcome <%= strUserID%>
</B></FONT><BR>

<HR>
<P>This page will take the information entered in
the form fields, and use the POST method to
send the data to an ASP page.

<FORM name=Form1 action=TestPost.asp method=post>

First Name: <INPUT name=fname><P>
Last Name: <INPUT name=lname><P>

<INPUT id=Submit1 type=submit value=Submit name=Submit1>

</FORM>

<HR>

<% Response.Write(Request.Form.Count) %> <BR>
<% Response.Write(Request.Form("fname")) %> <BR>
<% Response.Write(Request.Form("lname")) %>

Peter Landerud

Ok this sounds like it will disable Integrated Windows authentication,
but I still want to use the following:

Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_USER")

I use this to get the user name and then make sure the user has
permision to view this site. If I disable Integrated Windows
authentication with that registry change cab I still use
Request.ServerVariables("REMOTE_USER") to get the username?

Ray at

I don't know. When I ran across this, I found some other way of doing what
I wanted to do, but I don't remember what. But, you'd want to use
LOGON_USER for basic authentication, IIRC. So would Peter Mahoney.

Ray at home

Michael G. Schneider

I am trying to 'POST' values from a form in a ASP file that
has anonymous access permissions. I can retrieve the form
values when I redirect to this page from another page which
has also has anonymous access permissions.

In case Ray's answer did not yet solve your problem...

Your problem sounds very much like a problem I had myself. I first saw it
some years ago, but it has continued to exist until today. It is a
client-side issue, which is described in

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q231/4/53.asp

Michael G. Schneider

Peter Landerud

Michael, you say this is a client-side issue. Does that mean the
registry change I have to do is to the clinent-side computer or the
web-server my site resides on? If I need to do the registry change to
the client-side this will only fix the problem for me but not the 200
other users that use this page that I am really worried about.

Michael G. Schneider

Michael, you say this is a client-side issue. Does that mean the
registry change I have to do is to the clinent-side computer or the
web-server my site resides on? If I need to do the registry change
to the client-side this will only fix the problem for me but not the
200 other users that use this page that I am really worried about.

It is a pure client side issue. So the registry update has to be done on the
client. It modifies the browser's behaviour.

Michael G. Schneider