Problem with IE caching javascript

k7

Hi,
I have a oc4j application server hosting my application . I can see
from tcp monitor for eg: GET /scripts/main.js and the server responds
with last-modified timestamp. However for subsequent request IE does
not use if-modified-since and further for each script in Local Settings
is getting cached as main[1].js, main[2].js etc and also in different
directories. This does not happen for all script but if a page has some
15 scripts included the last 5 scripts show this behaviour. I would
appreciate if any one has seen this behaviour and resolution
regards,

Randy Webb

k7 said the following on 4/23/2006 12:33 AM:
Hi,
I have a oc4j application server hosting my application . I can see
from tcp monitor for eg: GET /scripts/main.js and the server responds
with last-modified timestamp. However for subsequent request IE does
not use if-modified-since and further for each script in Local Settings
is getting cached as main[1].js, main[2].js etc and also in different
directories. This does not happen for all script but if a page has some
15 scripts included the last 5 scripts show this behaviour. I would
appreciate if any one has seen this behaviour and resolution
regards,

http://jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ4_17

k7

Hi Randy ,
thanks for your response. The server does sett he Last-Modified in
response . But the IE is not setting If-Modified-Since header. The
problem is I have 15 scripts include and images. The IE is setting
If-Modified-Since for most of them but for some 4 or 5 javascript.
Then for each request the script is cached as main[1].js, main[2].js
.... even though server responds with correct Last-Modified timestamp

Randy Webb

k7 said the following on 4/23/2006 10:21 AM:
Hi Randy ,
thanks for your response.

Hi k7, thanks for quoting what you are replying to next time.

"Reply" link at the bottom of the article. Click on "show options" at
the top of the article, then click on the "Reply" at the bottom of the
article headers.

The server does sett he Last-Modified in response.
But the IE is not setting If-Modified-Since header. The
problem is I have 15 scripts include and images. The IE is setting
If-Modified-Since for most of them but for some 4 or 5 javascript.
Then for each request the script is cached as main[1].js, main[2].js
.... even though server responds with correct Last-Modified timestamp

And at what % to full is the cache and does clearing it fix the behavior?

k7

Hi Randy,
There is plenty of disk space for the cache . And also clearing cache
does not seems to solve the problem. I see that sometimes the script is
being cached in different directories too.
Regards.
k7

Randy said:
[...]

I see that my app server oc4j is using transfer-encoding chunk for
content length greater than 100k . Now I see that any .js files which
is over 100k and chunked is not being cached properly by IE. I would
really appreciate can provide and pointers to this.