    this?

    Cheers.

    Much appreciated.

    Pedro Machado Santa, May 1, 2010

  2. Probably yes. However, the first step in creating a security concept is not
    to define how to protect, but to define what to protect from which kind of
    attack from whom. ISTM you have yet to make that step.

    <http://jibbering.com/faq/#posting>

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 1, 2010

  3. Pedro Machado Santa

    VK Guest

    What exactly do you mean by "protect"? Make it not possible to view
    the source code on the page? Make it unavailable to other program
    running on the page? Something else?

    VK, May 1, 2010
  4. Concisely, I want to protect fake score submission, either by using
    javacript console to run calls/commands and by altering the code and
    running it locally and thus submit fake scores, from players with
    hackers skills wanting to figure on a top ten.

    I thought of a possible solution wich was to send to the server the
    game state in each play - or in my case in each frame, since it's a
    racing game - and run the game and validate the "trajectory" on the
    server, but I was wondering if there was a less call intensive way to
    accomplish this.

    Right now, I think that the most cost effective - even though not high
    but reasonably secure - would be to, on a game start, send to the
    client some sort of random key that would be used to verify game
    condition calls, and somehow hide that key from the user.

    Thanks for your reply Thomas.

    Cheers.

    Pedro Machado Santa, May 1, 2010
  5. I want to protect unwanted arbitrary execution of server calls by the
    user/hacker so everyone plays - and could be rewarded - on (the most)
    equal set of conditions.

    I think that making the source code not visible it's a very weak way
    to secure the game because Javascript is plain text and I don't know
    of a proper way to do that "cloaking".

    Another way to do that it's make sure that the server calls are only
    originated from the javascript code, and not from any type of console,
    and to make sure that the Javascript wasn't altered - I was thinking
    if I can use some sort of hashcode to do that.

    Thanks for your reply VK.

    Best regards.

    Pedro Machado Santa, May 1, 2010
  6. Pedro Machado Santa

    VK Guest

    Right. I mentioned this option only to say - you would confirm that -
    that it does not help.
    And how that would be implemented? It is easy to store the "proper"
    hashcode server-side. But it is as easy to find the hashcode
    calculating function client-side and to replace it with
    {
    // The first statement is fully optional of course.
    scoreSubmitAjax.setRequestHeader('Freedom-rulez', 'Ha-ha-ha');
    return precalculatedHashCodeOfUnalteredSource;
    }

    You can write a Java applet with an empty display area of the page
    background color of size 11px x 11px (the minimum size implied by
    security restrictions) and place it somewhere where it doesn't affect
    page layout. Let it periodically monitor the game state by querying
    JavaScript functions and variables and submit results to
    ServerListener over non-standard TCP/IP packets using DatagramSocket
    on a particular non-HTTP port. That's something JavaScript cannot do
    by definition. If someone hacks Java code as well, alters it to the
    needed way and runtime planted into page then just give him/her that
    damn prize - the worked really hard for that... :)

    Just one of crazy ideas of mine... Overall I do agree with Stefan
    Weiss.

    VK, May 1, 2010
  7. Pedro Machado Santa

    nick Guest

    I think the game would have to use a server / client model where the
    game state info is maintained by the server and then pushed out to the
    clients.

    Say the whole game is this: While you hold the 'D' key, your player's
    X velocity increases by 1 game unit per tic every tic, up to a max of
    30 units per tic. When you release it, the X velocity decreases by 1
    unit per tic until it reaches 0.

    Now, you could just let everyone play, and whenever someone crosses
    the finish line, their client sends the server 'i won,' the server
    sees how long the race has been going and adds the winner to the
    scoreboard. Obviously this can be hacked.

    The thing to do is have the client always send *messages* to the
    server... Every tic the 'D' key is held, client tells server "I'm
    moving right." Immediately client uses client-side game physics
    routine to move the actor right for visual feedback. When message
    arrives from client, server does its physics routine (same routine as
    client if client is unaltered) and calculates actor's position also.
    When it is done, it calls back to client and the displayed position
    based on client physics is replaced with server's calculated position,
    which will ideally be close to identical to what the client calculated
    (user shouldn't notice the change) if the network latency is low.

    Now, if the client tries to cheat and sends the server some crazy
    message like "hey, I'm moving at 1000 game units per tic," and even if
    their hacked client supports showing this to the user and sending it
    to the server, the server will reject the bogus input and the client
    can be disconnected or left to suffer with broken gameplay.

    nick, May 1, 2010
  8. Nonsense, it can. But an API that provides the capability (such as XPCOM)
    and a privileged environment are required.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, May 1, 2010
  9. Pedro Machado Santa

    VK Guest

    I am not aware of XPCOM tools
    https://developer.mozilla.org/en/XPCOM_API_Reference
    providing the functionality of Java's Datagram and Socket tools:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/DatagramPacket.html
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/DatagramSocket.html
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html

    Is there a better documentation than of MDC?

    VK, May 2, 2010