Python 2.4 / WinXP / distutils error (cookbook example)

magoldfish

Hi,

I've installed Python 2.4 on Windows XP and walked through the Alex
Martelli ASPN cookbook example at:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/66509

This is a recipe for a simple extension type for Python. When I try to
build and install it, however, I get an error:

c:\temp\el>python setup.py install
running install
running build
running build_ext
error: The .NET Framework SDK needs to be installed before
building extensions for Python.

I have Visual Studio .NET Professional installed.

Thanks!
Marcus

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

I have Visual Studio .NET Professional installed.

There are several solutions, but one is to install Visual Studio .NET
2003 (which is different from Visual Studio .NET, also referred to
as VS.NET 2002). Microsoft managed to rename the C library (CRT) between
2002 (msvcr7.dll) and 2003 (msvcr71.dll), and you need to make sure
your extension uses the same CRT as the one used to build Python.

Regards,
Martin

magoldfish

Martin said:
There are several solutions, but one is to install Visual Studio .NET
2003 (which is different from Visual Studio .NET, also referred to
as VS.NET 2002). Microsoft managed to rename the C library (CRT) between
2002 (msvcr7.dll) and 2003 (msvcr71.dll), and you need to make sure
your extension uses the same CRT as the one used to build Python.

Thanks Martin-- you pointed me in the right direction. I followed the
instructions at

http://www.vrplumber.com/programming/mstoolkit/index.html

to modify my distutils and development environment to use the free
Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit Compiler 2003. Reproducing the recipe
result was straightforward from there.

Marcus