Python 2.6 worth the hassle?

Evan Kroske

I'm planning on learning Python, and I'd like to know which version to
start with. I know that Python 3.0 isn't ready for production and it
doesn't have enough libraries yet, so I thought I should learn Python
2.6. Unfortunately, installing Python 2.6 on my Linux distro (Ubuntu
Intrepid Ibex) has given me lots of complicated problems I really don't
want to deal with.

My essential question is "Is Python 2.6 similar enough to Python 3.0 to
justify its complexity of installation?" Upgrading to Jaunty is NOT an
option
(http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaunty-jackalope-released-vista-all.html).

Best regards,
Evan Kroske
Undecided Python Student

Steven D'Aprano

I'm planning on learning Python, and I'd like to know which version to
start with. I know that Python 3.0 isn't ready for production and it
doesn't have enough libraries yet, so I thought I should learn Python
2.6. Unfortunately, installing Python 2.6 on my Linux distro (Ubuntu
Intrepid Ibex) has given me lots of complicated problems I really don't
want to deal with.

What happens if you use the altinstall option and install from source?

My essential question is "Is Python 2.6 similar enough to Python 3.0 to
justify its complexity of installation?" Upgrading to Jaunty is NOT an
option
(http://welcome2obscurity.blogspot.com/2009/05/jaunty-jackalope-
released-vista-all.html).

Are you saying that Intrepid uses Python3.0 as it's default Python?

If not, then just use the default Python installed. Possibly Python 2.5.
The differences between 2.5 and 2.6 are minor.