python.exe on Mac OS X!?

Rodney Maxwell

I did a source code build of Python 2.4.1 on OS X (10.3.8) and the
executable produced was 'python.exe'. Can someone tell me whether this
is a bug, feature, or UserError?

% ./configure
<snip>
% make
<snip>
% ./python.exe
Python 2.4.1 (#1, Apr 17 2005, 12:14:12)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin

Robert Kern

Rodney said:
I did a source code build of Python 2.4.1 on OS X (10.3.8) and the
executable produced was 'python.exe'. Can someone tell me whether this
is a bug, feature, or UserError?

I'm not sure. Why don't you grab the binary?

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.1/MacPython-OSX-2.4.1-1.dmg

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

Skip Montanaro

Rodney> I did a source code build of Python 2.4.1 on OS X (10.3.8) and
Rodney> the executable produced was 'python.exe'. Can someone tell me
Rodney> whether this is a bug, feature, or UserError?

The default file system on MacOSX is case insensitive. As a result the .exe
extension is required to disambiguate the generated executable from the
Python directory in the source distro.

Skip

Rodney Maxwell

The default file system on MacOSX is case insensitive. As a result
the .exe
extension is required to disambiguate the generated executable from the
Python directory in the source distro.

OK. I got it.

Robert Kern

Rodney said:
Because I need to keep multiple versions of Python on this machine, and
as far as I can tell the binary installer overwrites the default
installed version.
I could be wrong.

You are wrong. It installs alongside.

--